From:
Mary Burgdorff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Burgdorff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 21:38:15 -0400

The people on this list are so incredibly helpful!  Here is a summary of
what to expect when traveling to Sweden:

First, there were many, many comments about how easy it is to get gluten
free food there.  From McDonald's burgers ON A GLUTEN FREE BUN, to pizza
with a GLUTEN FREE CRUST, delivered!

1.  In some cities, you can find gluten-free breads at specialty bakeries

Hotels:  Breakfast and smorgasborgs have gluten-free breads.  To be
safe, however, discuss your gluten-free needs when making room
reservations or registering in person.

Useful contacts in Sweden

The Celiac Society in Sweden
www.celiaki.se
Tel: +46-8-730-05-01
Fax: +46-8-730-05-02
Swedish Celiac Youth Society
www.scuf.net

They listed Swedish Gluten-Free Dining Card.  I have no idea what it
says:

Jag ar glutenintolerant det innebar att jag inte tal att ata eller
dricka nagot som innehaller vete, rag, korn och havre, t ex mjol, gryn,
strobrod, sasredning och panering.  Jag vore tacksam om ni ville
respektera detta.

There are symbols that go along with those, but I don't know how to put
them there.  Hope that doesn't hurt.  That's all I see in the article,
hope it helps.

2.   lived in Sweden in 1991 in the Linkoping and Nykoping. Being gluten
free there was easier than in American. Mostly because it’s not a fast food
driven society. And it’s way too expensive to eat out anyway.

When I was there I found gluten free baking mixes, crackers, and pasta in
the regular grocery store shelves. They also stocked (or would order)
gluten free items through the pharmacies. It probably won’t be the brands
you’re used to here but they imported from Italy and France too.

3.  There is no need to worry about the celiac. Celiac is a lot more common
in Sweden compared to US. and me myself has been allergic to wheat flour
since the age of 10 (24 now). Almost all grocery stores have some kind of
selection of gluten free items such as flour, bread, pasta, cookies and
so on, especially the bigger ones. They usually have a special shelf so
you might need to ask the staff where it is located.

Also the meals at McDonalds, Burger King and other fast food
restaurants can served with gluten free bread upon request. Just let them
know and ask around. Most restaurants know about celiac so ask them when
ordering and most restaurants will be able to help you out.

There are also a few pizza places in Stockholm where gluten free pizzas
can be ordered.

4.  http://www.celiaki.se/ has loads of info on dealing with not only
celiac but also food allergies in Sweden. Much of it is in
Swedish, but there are some English pages and some contact
addresses and store lists.

5.  We do have a distributor in England.  He may be able to help you with a
local source for our Tapioca Loaf.
If the bread is not located in Sweden maybe he can mail some to you.

Let me know if this works or if I can be of any more help let me know.
Kathy Hoffman