From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:49:31 -0700

At last the long awaited, promised spring roll summary.  I apologize for
not replying earlier.  It was the morning of September 11th that I sat
down to summarize when the bad news began.  Since then, I've had a hard
time finding the "heart" to complete this task because everytime I do, I
remember that morning.  But here goes.  I received many excellent &
helpful replies to my inquiry about spring rolls.  I can't possibly
include all the replies, so I will include examples that are
representative of the content in the responses that I didn't include.

-------------------

I buy my rice wrappers at a company called Pacific Rim. THe "paper" is
made of rice flour, water and salt and keep forever! To make a
spring/summer roll, you soak the paper for a minute or so, I then brush a
little hoisin sauce on it and then you can use almost anything to stuff
them. Cooked shrimp, chopped up scallions, bean thread noodles cut into
short pieces, grated carrot, etc. then make a dipping sauce from wheat
free soy sauce, sesame oil and hot pepper flakes. If you go to the Food
Network's website you'll find a lot of recipes for Vietnamese
Spring/Summer rolls. They make a great hors. d'oerves or lunch!
http://www.foodtv.com/  Sally Nagy

-----------------------

Spring rolls are Vietnamese egg rolls.  I order them regularly at my
local Vietnamese restaurant.  To make them at home, take a dinner plate
or cookie sheet & cover it with water.  Place a spring roll wrapper in
the water about a minute to soften it (too short a time and it isn't
pliable, too long and it will fall apart).  Remove the wrapper from the
water to a dry plate.  Fill with a combination of:  cooked shrimp, pork
or chicken, cooked rice noodles, shredded lettuce, cucumbers & carrots,
fresh basil (try different combos depending on what you have on hand).
Be careful not to put on too much - maybe 2 tablespoons of filler.  Fold
the bottom edge over the filling (which is a little below center), then
the left & right sides, then roll away from you. Roll it tight and it
will hold together better (takes practice).  You can eat them with
Vietnamese dipping sauce (sold by the bottle at Asian grocery stores
(combo of fish sauce, lime juice, chillies) or you can fry them in a
little oil - just like an egg roll.  Best of health!  Becky

---------------------

I use the paper for eggs rolls. I take really ground up steak or chuck
hamburger shredded cabbage -which includes shredded  carrots -chopped up
a small onion -chopped  up some bean sprouts. Throw it all in bowl -add
some soy sauce -chinses 5 spice -some stir fry seasoning-garlic & ginger
blend. Mix is all together in a bowl. Set aside. Get a pie plate -fill
1/4 to 1/2 with warm water then in a seperate small bowl -mix 1egg or
sub. Now  you are ready to roll the egg rolls. First, take your paper and
put in warm  water -soak until limp  -take out and lay  on wax paper -
then put a small amounut of meat mixture on one end and roll -use the egg
as glue to hold it together. As you can see -it is a little of this and a
little of that -I make these and don't have precise measurements.  After
they are all rolled -you can fry them in hot oil until lite brown. Yummy
and good to eat. Just the insides along are great over rice.  Sharon

---------------------

A Vietnamese place we used to eat in Minneapolis made them with boiled
shrimp, bean sprouts, cilantro, ginger,  mint leaves, a few other things.
Just rolled up & stuck together w cornstarch paste.  Served with a peanut
sauce--peanut butter, vinegar, spices, they were wonderful.  Prob'ly need
to add a little brown sugar or honey as well. You can deep fry as well.
David

--------------------

We've made spring rolls like this in my Whole Foods Production course at
Bastyr. Here is the recipe-- Spring Rolls with a sweet and sour dipping
sauce The filling:

        1 small onion, diced
        1 large or two medium carrots, shredded
        2 stalks celery, diced
        1/4 head medium sized Chinese cabbage, shredded
        2 tablespoons sesame oil (plain or toasted)
        1 teaspoon sea salt
        1/3 block soft tofu
        2 teaspoons tamari
        1-2 teaspoons fresh ginger juice (can be omitted if you don't have a
                ginger juicer)
        1/2 cup bean sprouts
The sauce:

        1 cup apple juice
        1tablespoon maple syrup
        1 tablespoon rice vinegar
        1 to 2 teaspoons tamari
        1 tablespoon arrowroot (or appropriate thickening agent of your choice)
        3 tablespoons cold water
        1 package rice or tapioca spring roll wrappers
        16 whole lettuce leaves
        1 bunch fresh cilantro or mint (or both!)

The instructions:

Place each of the prepped veggies into small bowls. Heat a 1 1/2 quart
skillet and add the oil. Add each of the vegetables one at a time
beginning with the onion and ending with the cabbage, stirring each into
the oil and allowing it time to saute for a few minutes.  Add the sea
salt and turn the heat very low, cover and sit for up to 5 minutes
(allows veggies to merge flavors) Crumble the tofu and add it to the
cooking vegetables, cover and continue to simmer another 5 minutes.  Add
the tamari, fresh ginger juice and sprouts. Remove from heat and set
aside. Prepare the dipping sauce by combining the apple juice, maple
syrup, rice vinegar and tamari in a small (one quart) saucepan. Bring to
a gentle boil (check flavors for a sweet, sour, salty taste).  Mix the
arrowroot in the cold water with a small whisk. Add all at once to the
simmering sauce, whisking as the sauce thickens. Then remove from heat
and let cool.  Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and place the water in a
large bowl. Using a pair of tongs, pass each spring roll wrapper through
the water to soften (should become VERY soft). Do this one at a time!
When soft, lie the wrapper on a flat surface and put 1/4 cup of filling
in the center. Cover with the corner of the sheet closest to you. Close
the upper side away from your over the center and finally fold in each
of the sides. The wrapper should stick to itself and stay closed. Repeat
this process until you have the desired amount of rolls! To serve, give
everyone a small bowl of dipping sauce, several lettuce leaves and a
handful of fresh herbs. To eat the rolls, place some of the herbs on the
roll, wrap a lettuce leaf around the roll and herbs-- dip in the sauce
and take a big bite!

Other options: Roast some raw peanuts in 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes,
chop finely and all to dipping sauce. You may substitute cooked, shredded
chicken or small shrimp for the tofu in the filling.

From my experience, this recipe is quite tasty. Don't expect it to taste
like an egg roll because the wrapper definitely won't! Also, the veggies
can be varied to suit your taste! Happy eating! Selena Eon

--------------------

Spring Rolls are great!  You can put anything inside of them!  Usually,
bean threads or rice sticks are cooked (boiled or soaked according to
directions) and set aside.  Then get some mint leaves, basil, chives, or
some edible flowers.  Usually spring rolls also have some kind of meat -
usually shrimp - but I've used left over chicken, bacon, etc.  You
gingerly slide one "rice paper" or "tapioca paper" into VERY HOT water
for a few minutes until it is completely pliable.  Take it out, lay it on
a wet surface (I usually just wet the counter with my hand after dipping
it into the water).  Fill the center of the paper with bean threads/rice
stick (depends on the size rice paper you buy.... but don't let the
filling reach the edges - fill the center with about 1" gap or more
around).  On top of the filling, add your meat, a few mint leaves and/or
basil leaves, some chives or edible flowers.  Then roll one side up and
over, then the two sides, then roll it up like a mini-burrito.  The rice
sticks/bean threads are pretty tasteless, so be sure to have something to
dip them in (fish sauce & hoisin are the typical dips, but hoisin has
wheat in it... & fish sauce mixed with vinegar & sugar is an acquired
flavor for some).  Try it plain, and then dig up some dipping sauces to
your taste!  Have fun making them!  And eat them right away (only make
what you are going to eat)... the rice paper/tapioca paper will dry out
quickly and don't last long.  If you want to have them to serve at a
party or dinner etc... cover them with warm and wet paper towels to keep
them moist!  Kate Olympia

-----------------------

...We place the ones we roll onto a greased jelly roll pan or something
simular seam side down.  When we are done rolling the amount we want, we
then fry them in a skillet with about a little over 1/2 inch of vegetable
oil in it.  Too much oil and they will roll when they puff up.  They
don't cook evenly when they roll over and puff up.  Just break the poofed
up part if they do this and hold down with tongs. Bonnie

-----------------------

...go to www.foodtv.com and search for spring rolls.  There are recipes
there with instructions for how to use the wrappers.  Olivia in VA

-----------------------

You can also fill with dessert type fillings like bananas or other fruit,
etc. and then fry like above. I haven't made these myself yet, but I have
had them at Thai rest. stuffed with bananas and topped with sesame seeds
and honey (yum). I was thinking if you filled with pie filling like
blueberry or apple, etc. it might come out like those pie things you used
to get at mcdonalds. Just thought of this, I'll have to try this soon.
good luck.  Joan

----------------------

Blue Dragon pancakes/spring roll skins and Hoisin sauce, the company say;
'Rice Flour Pancakes (available in most Tesco UK stores) in our range
which would be very similar to spring roll skins and are gluten free.
However; With regard to Hoi Sin Sauce, our Blue Dragon brand is NOT
gluten free as it contains wheat.'

So I made my own Hoisin sauce (for 2) Hoisin sauce About 4 tablespoons
of gf mango chutney without bits 6 teaspoons (or to taste) Clearspring
Tamari or Meridian Tamari GF soya sauce GF medium chilli sauce to taste
Mix them all together. This is a sort of dip for the spring rolls.
Peanuts (shelled and chopped) to garnish

        Spring rolls with vegetables and tofu (serves 4)
11oz carrots
1 green pepper
1onion
9oz tofu
2 tabs sunflower oil
2 teaspoons curry powder, I used Sharwoods Hot.

4 tabs soy sauce (as above) lemon juice salt (if liked) 16 spring roll
skins (Blue Dragon ones have about 7/10 in a packet) Peel carrots, cut
into matchsticks, core & seed pepper & ditto finely chop onion .Drain
tofu and cut into small cubes. Heat oil in frying pan or wok. Add onion,
carrots & green pepper , stir fry over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in
curry powder , fry for a short time. Add little fresh lemon juice and
soya sauce. Sir fry for about 2/3 minutes until vegetables are soft.
Transfer to plate to cool. Mix tofu with vegetables and season with salt
if liked. Prepare spring rolls. Fill a large dish with cold water (bowl
must be big enough to accommodate each whole skin lying flat). Press
each skin lightly until pliable then spread out on kitchen paper. Spoon
a strip of filling, fold over one side then gently roll up. Use the
kitchen paper to help. Put into oiled steamer /s or colander/s when
complete (this oil helps to stop them sticking to colander).

        You can do all this beforehand then steam them over boiling water for
about 4/5 minutes.

Rather a fiddle but a great hit, they would be good as a hot starter for
a mostly cold buffet.

This recipe adapted from Great Little Cook Books-Rice published by Aura
Books ISBN 1 901683 46 X  Lyn

----------------------

RICE PAPER WRAPPERS (banh trang)
Ingredients for Wrapping and Frying:

        2 cups warm water
        2 Tablespoons sugar
        1/4 cup cider vinegar
        1 package 8-inch round rice paper wrappers *
        1/4 to 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
        To fry the rolls in a large, non-stick frying pan, heat the oil on
medium-high (365- 360 degrees) until hot but not smoking. A small amount
of oil can be used, just enough to cover the bottom l/2-inch. If frying
the rolls using this method, three egg rolls can be placed in the frying
pan with a little space between each roll. Place the rolls seam side
down. Use tongs or long chopsticks to turn the rolls occasionally until
they are light golden brown allover. This method requires a bit more
turning of the egg rolls to brown on all sides. There will be some
spattering if the filling used is not a cooked filling. A deep fryer may
also be used to fry the rolls. To drain the egg rolls after frying.
Prepare a colander or a bowl by lining the bottom with a pad of paper
towels and a layer or two of paper towels all along the sides. As the egg
rolls become browned. Remove from oil and drain them bv standing them UP
on one end inside the paper lined colander/bowl.

        Soft Rolls, Vietnamese style (not fried):

Soften a rice paper wrapper, 1 per soft roll. Place your choice of cooked
filling in the center... The Vietnamese soft rolls are generally filled
with some softened rice stick noodles, a few pieces of finely julienned
vegetables (carrot, green onions, snow pea pods, hot pepper) and maybe a
thin slice of cooked chicken, pork or shrimp. The shrimp is usually
halved lengthwise. The filling isn't bulky so it won't tear the wrapper.
Serve room temperature or warm with dipping sauce/s.

EGG ROLL FILLING -COOKED The Baker has gotten many requests for gluten-
free egg rolls. The following recipes use the same gluten-free rice
paper wrapper. Several basic fillings have been included to get you
started. Don't be afraid to experiment. To those of you that haven't had
a good egg roll for awhile a real treat is in store. This is a quick and
easy egg roll filling that I have adapted from my friend Mary J. to be
gluten-free. It is a cooked filling. I feel sure that it will soon be a
favorite with you also. Fresh ground chicken or turkey may also be used
to replace the pork in this recipe. Yield: 12- 14 egg rolls, average size

        1 lb. pork, fresh, ground, extra lean *
        1 Chinese cabbage, small, minced
        5 Chinese mushrooms, dried, minced **
        4 green onions, whole, minced 1 yellow onion, small, minced
        11/2 teaspoons gluten-free soy sauce
        1/2- 1 teaspoon salt
        1/2- 1 teaspoon sugar
        1/2- 1 cup bean sprouts, fresh 2 teaspoons cornstarch
 Allow the dried mushrooms to soak in warm/hot water to reconstitute for
20 -30 minutes. After they have reconstituted, remove the woody stem and
squeeze mushroom cap to remove any excess moisture. Finely mince the
mushrooms. In a hot, dry wok or large skillet, stir fry the minced
Chinese cabbage. Keep stir frying for about 2-4 minutes until the cabbage
is limp and most of the moisture is gone from the cabbage. Set aside. In
a non-stick skillet, brown the meat well. Drain any drippings from the
meat. Add the cooked meat to the cabbage in the wok/skillet. Add the
minced mushrooms, green and yellow onions, soy sauce, salt and sugar,
toss well. Add the bean sprouts and toss all well. Allow to cook for
several minutes. Remove the wok/skillet from the heat and add the
cornstarch and stir well to coat all the ingredients. Allow the mixture
to cool before wrapping.

* Ground chicken or turkey may be used in the place of the pork in this
recipe. ** Can be found in many international sections of large
supermarkets or in Asian stores.

------------------------

 Fill with a combination of:  cooked shrimp, pork or chicken, cooked
rice noodles, shredded lettuce, cucumbers & carrots, fresh basil (try
different combos depending on what you have on hand).  Be careful not to
put on too much - maybe 2 tablespoons of filler.  Fold the bottom edge
over the filling (which is a little below center), then the left & right
sides, then roll away from you. Roll it tight and it will hold together
better (takes practice).  You can eat them with Vietnamese dipping sauce
(sold by the bottle at Asian grocery stores (combo of fish sauce, lime
juice, chillies) or you can fry them in a little oil - just like an egg
roll.

------------------------

Thai Spring Rolls  makes 10

        2 oz dried shitake mushrooms
        2 oz bean thread noodles cut with scissors into short lengths
        1 T toasted sesame oil
        4 oz fresh button mushrooms, chopped fine
        1 c shredded green cabbage
        1/4 c tamari
        1/4 maple syrup
        10 rice paper spring roll wrappers
        1 1/4 c shredded carrots
        1 1/4 c shredded red cabbage
        1/2 c each fresh whole cilantro, basil, mint leaves
        Soak dried mushrooms in bowl of hot tap water until softened, about 15
min.  Remove and discard stems and shop mushroom fine; set aside. Soak
bean thread noodles in bowl of hot tap water until softened, about 10
minutes.  Drain and set aside.

        Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add shitake and fresh
mushrooms and cook until softened, about 2 min.  Add green cabbage and
cook until softened, about 2 min.  Add bean tread noodles, tamari, and
maple syrup and cook until excess liquid evaporated, about 2 min.  Cook
mushroom mixture to room temp.

        Fill large bowl with warm water.  Working with one rice paper
wrapper at a time, soak wrapper in water until pliable, 10-30 sec.
Transfer wrapper to clean kitchen towel and pat dry.  Spread 2 T carrots
in 1-in wide swath across bottom of half of wrapper.  Top with 2T red
cabbage, a portion of the mushroom mixture, and several leaves of each
fresh herb. fold bottom of wrapper over filling. Roll up like a burrito,
folding in sides as your roll toward top of wrapper.  Repeat with
remaining wrappers and filling.  Slice spring rolls in half on diagonal.
Serve immediately with peanut sauce.