From:
Esme Neely Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:45:27 EDT

Dear Listers:

Thank you very much to the 25 people who responded to my question about
letting celiac kids play with Play-Doh which according to the Playskool
company does have wheat in it.

Like the discussions about shampoos and lotions, responses varied.

A couple of adult celiacs mentioned that they had made wheat-based play doughs
for their children with no side effects. They did add that they were careful
not to breath the flour or chew on their fingers.

Several parents of celiac children said they let their kids use Play-Doh with
no side effects. However, the majority of responses ranged from "why risk it"
to an emphatic "PLAYDOH IS NOT SAFE!" All too often small children do end up
putting their Play-Doh covered hands in their mouths and while thorough
washing helps, getting the stuff out from under finger nails is often next to
impossible. There is also the issue of constant vigilance.

I liked the suggestion of using Beeswax as an alternative. The user wrote: It
is clean and does not get stuck in the carpet, in clothing or in hair. Colors
stay true. It doesn't need special containers and doesn't dry out. We just buy
small sheets of it. The smell is wonderful and of course, it's gluten free!

Beeswax is easy to use. You hold it in your hands for a few minutes till it
warms up and you make whatever you want. If you want to save what you've made,
just let it get cold. If you want to modify it, hold it in your hands again.
It comes in a rainbow of colors. You can buy it mail order or at a toy store,
usually ones oriented toward natural products.

Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]), one of the Celiac & Cel-Kids Listowners,
added that in the Cel-Kids FAQ is a replacement for Play-Doh.

Many people passed along GF play dough recipes with which they have found
success. I have not tried any of these yet, but will send them out as I
received them. I just hope I can convince my child=92s preschool come fall to
let me bring some of these in for my son -- or maybe switch the class to any
of these recipes.

Thank you to everyone who sent in these recipes. As one person said, "We still
can't make decent bread but play dough is no problem."

#1 Play Dough: This is an easy recipe and it turns out very similar to the
commercial kind.

1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon oil
food coloring

Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until it forms a ball.  Cool
completely before storing in a resealable plastic bag.

#2 G.F. Play Dough:

1 1/4 cup rice flour (fine ground such as found in Asian markets)
1/2 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar--gives it a bad taste
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon oil
Vanilla, wintergreen, etc. for scent--optional. Food coloring, optional.

Mix dry ingredients in a heavy saucepan.  Add oil, water, & color.  Bring to
boiling, cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly or until it pulls away from sides
of pan.  Cool slightly & knead in scent.  Store in airtight container. (My
favorite is Baby Fresh Scent--Use baby oil for oil called for in recipe.)

#3: GF Flour Play Dough

1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
1 cup GF flour mix (6 parts rice flour, 2 parts potato starch and 1 part
tapioca starch)
1-1/2 teaspoon methyl cellulose
1-1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

In a wide-bottom pan, bring the water to a boil.  Add the salt and stir until
dissolved.  Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients.  Knead
together when cool.  Keep it in a plastic bag or tightly-sealed container.

#4 Flourless Play Dough:

1   cup cornstarch
1   cup salt
1   cup hot water
1/2 cup cold water
food coloring

Mix hot water and salt in pan and bring to boil. Stir cold water into
cornstarch. Add to boiling water and cook over low heat, stirring constantly
until stiff. Add food coloring and knead in.

#5 Play Clay recipe (as found on Arm & Hammer Baking Soda box):

1 one-pound box of baking soda
1 cup corn starch
1 1/4 cups cold water
Stir together baking soda and Corn starch in saucepan Add water and cook
over
medium heat until mixture reaches consistency of moist mashed potatoes
(approximately 10-15 minutes.) Remove and put on plate. Cover with a damp
cloth. When cool enough to
handle, pat until smooth.

NOTE:  One person added that Arm & Hammer has a brochure showing how to make
and use play clay. To get a copy of the brochure, call 1-800-575-2925.

Following are recipes for edible play doughs, including several variations of
a peanut butter-based mixture.

EDIBLE PLAY DOUGH
Mix together:  (I used the Kitchen-Aid mixer)
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon GF vanilla extract (or other flavoring)
Add 1 lb of powdered sugar.  Knead it.  Divide and add food coloring.  Then
refrigerate to keep from spoiling (in a ziploc bag - this dough doesn't dry
out.)

#1 Peanut Butter Play Dough

2 cups peanut butter
1 cup honey
2-1/2 cups powdered milk
1 cup powdered sugar

#2 Peanut Butter Play Dough

1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1 to 1-1/2 cups powdered milk

Spoon the peanut butter into a mixing bowl.  Pour in the honey.  Mix in 1 cup
of powdered milk and blend until smooth.  Add up to 1/2 cup more powdered milk
if you want a thinner consistency.  This recipe is edible.

#3 Peanut Butter Play Dough: (from Better Homes & Gardens, March '96)

2 Cups Peanut Butter
2 Cups Powdered Milk
3 tablespoons honey

If too sticky, add more powdered milk one tablespoon at a time.  If desired,
add chopped nuts or raisins.  Be sure to wash hands before playing
with the
dough.

#4 Peanut Butter Play Dough

Simply mix equal amounts of peanut butter and powered milk.

Compiled by Esme in Maryland.