From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 10:28:58 -0500

The first letter about gluten-free food for senior citizens seems to
have touched a sensitive spot in many readers.  The response has been
overwhelming. As this is not particularly controversial, I'll include
the e-mail addresses of the respondents, and if you want to reply
individually, you may do so.  Otherwise, send any further response to
the whole list, as I'm about to go on vacation for three weeks.

The initial message raised questions about 1) increased costs, and
shortened coverage of long term care insurance for people with celiac
disease, 2) the need of safe, gluten-free food in retirement homes
and other forms of care facilities for senior citizens (nursing
homes, hospitals, etc.), and  3) the possibility of frozen TV dinners
with safe, gluten-free food to be used in institutional situations.

From: [log in to unmask]

> [...]

>too. But, if it's any help or  you don't object too much to the
>organization, I think there is a list of GF TV dinners in the CSA
>products listing. I keep meaning to try some of them but haven't
>gotten around to it yet.

>There is a company out there that sells prepackaged food.  Things like
>Pizza, lasagna, and a wide assortment of foods.  I will Try and locate
>my pamphlet and get back to you with a name.  My daughter has CD and I
>took a copy to the Hospital that we frequent with her asthma in
>the hope that they would use it.  No luck.

>For those of you in the US, you might remember last year the devastating
>killer floods that occurred in NC during hurricane season last fall.   Many
>people lost their lives and hteir homes and were displaced for many months in
>temporary shelters -  what would I have done (and any other celaic in NC) ???
>
>  I have been trying to find a place here that will take doantions of celiac
>food for situations like these or similar ones like this original posting
>referred to.  ANy ideas would be appreciated.

>Helping celiacs in retirement homes has already begun.
>
>One of our celiac members recently entered an "assisted living" home.  After
>she was thre for a few weeks, I made a visit to the facility and asked to
>speak to the dietitian.  I was referred to the person "in charge of the meal
>program".

>As a gift from our group, I gave them the latest Commercial Products
>Listing and our New Celiac Packet which contains over 100 pages.
>
>I brought them catalogs from Dietary Specialities, Gluten-Free Pantry, Energy
>Foods, Really Great Food Company and Miss Robens.  I pointed out that Dietary
>Specialiaties had a unique program which offered complete gf meals shipped
>directly to the celaic completely frozen.  I felt this unique service might
>be ideal for the facility.
>
>The information was well reeived.  The person "in charge of the meal
>program" had a friend who was recently diagnosed as a celiac, and
>while he was generally aware of the gf diet, he was not familiar with
>the extent of our dietary restrictions.  He appreciated the input.
>I told him I hope that the information would not only help our celiac
>member, but other celiacs throughout the state who were part of the
>Marriott chain of "assisted living" homes.
>
>Celiacs can help by "brightening the corner where they are".  It will spread.
>I never could have predicted an opportunity like this, but when I saw it, it
>was clear what I had to do.

>no one is talking about it, but I am sure as more people with CD get
>older there will be something for us retirees.  I hope.  Luckily, my
>youngest son know houw to cook for me and he has promised that he and
>his wife will make sure that I get the proper food even if I have to be
>in a nursing home at some time.  Hopefully that won't be necessary but
>it is a comfort to know that a family member would do

This is something I have never even stopped to think about. Maybe
Meals on Wheels would be a way to help people right away.

>What a gloomy thought.  This has been in the back of my head for a
>while now.  My 85 year old mother lives at a retirement center, and
>is sad that I refuse to eat at her nice dining room.  You would
>think with about 500 residents, there would be at least 1 celiac.
>But the kitchen people know nothing there.  That's a scary thought,
>isn't it?   You and I both know there are probably some undiagnosed
>celiacs there, (starting with my untested mother) but it will be a
>while before that all catches up.  This subject you have brought up
>should get plenty of responses!

Indeed - there are plenty of responses, but it's time for my husband
to use the computer.  I'll send a second set of responses later on.
Obviously, this is a topic that needs to be addressed.  As I am one
who thinks carbohydrates are NOT the healthiest of foods, the TV
dinners mentioned above that are gluten-free are not particularly of
interest to me.  But the dangers of accidental contamination in a
kitchen where gluten containing food is being prepared, make that the
only viable answer so far, unless one has relatives and friends who
are willing to carry in food.

When I lived in Minnesota, the director of the  docent program at the
Minneapolis Institute of Fine Arts was a celiac whose husband was a
gastroenterologist.  She developed ovarian cancer and was treated
agressively with chemo-therapy.  The 50 or so docents at the museum
all knew of her food limitations.  For almost a year we supplied all
her meals.  An act of true affection and concern.  The end of the
story is that it is now 15 years later and she is thriving and
healthy and happy - and still a celiac.

Gayle Kennedy