From:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 20:09:52 -0400

Posted for Lisa Grove <[log in to unmask]

Question

I'm extremely sensitive to gluten ingredients, and have been successfully
drinking Lactaid milk for a while (lactose intolerance as well). I recently
bought Lactaid "Calcium Enriched" milk by mistake - the carton looks almost
identical to the regular Lactaid milk. I decided I'd use it anyway. I've
been struggling to figure out where my sudden gluten symptoms were coming
from, and I finally isolated them to the "Calcium Enriched" milk. When I
went back to the regular Lactaid milk my symptoms disappeared.

Some people wrote to say they have symptoms with other added ingredients
that were in the milk I reacted to, but not in my usual milk ... guar and
added calcium.

I'll be watching for these in other foods to see if I have problems with
either of them!

One person asked if I'd verified the gluten free status with the Lactaid
manufacturer. I have not, but I did look at their website, and didn't find
info about gluten there.

Here are pertinent replies:

Some milk bottlers are now putting guar gum into their skim and 1% milk
since some people apparently complain that the milk is "too thin". duh?
Altho guar has no gluten, some react to it w. gluten-like symptoms. It's
amazing, but we now have to check the ingredients even of our milk!

Could be something else, unless they changed the ingredients since I last
bought it, which I admit, has been several months.  I used the calcium
enriched variety for many years, with no reaction and negative biopsies.   I
would have reacted by now, if it was gluten. But then, ingredients change.

I cannot tolerate the added Calcium.  I do not do well with any Calcium
supplements. My Mother's Internist said that many folks do not tolerate
Calcium.........that is not naturally in food.  Just a thought...it might
not be gluten, but the calcium??  I return any Lactaid milk that is picked
up accidently that is Calcium fortified.  My belly hurts too bad with it.

I have the same problem with calcium enriched Orange juice   I believe it
was Minute Maid or Tropicana.  We are very careful to use the Original
Minute Maid now.