From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 07:26:58 -0500

You all received a posting from Ron Hoggan having to do with gluten
challenging in young children. It said that a gluten challenge under the
age of six was not recommended as there were ways that the gluten affected
the whole body, including the brain, and the testing should be put off
until all the brain and other body systems were completely developed.  I
would like to also suggest that the same consideration might apply to
adults.  Why is it that the Hypocratic Oath says the first rule of medicine
is to first do no harm, and then doctors in our field are insisting that
those of us who have not been biopsied go on a gluten challenge - when they
warn us again and again that eating even a little bit of gluten is
dangerous - and we know it makes us sick...?  Something is out of whack
here.  If a gluten free diet removes the symptoms and ingestion of a little
bit of gluten makes one sick, is that not enough empirical evidence?  Just
thinking aloud...  Gayle Kennedy