From:
Jerry Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 15:44:22 -0700

I’m saying this based on recent gut reactions:

Safeway Dairy Aid Ultra Lactase Enzyme dietary supplement

And

Safeway Farmer Select Enriched Rice

Both contain gluten, IMO.

I believe the enriched rice is enriched using barley, and I believe the
binder in the lactase enzyme supplement uses gluten.

I posted before that I thought the Dairy Aid Ultra Lactase Enzyme was GF,
but as time has gone on I realize I was wrong. My apologies if you tried the
Safeway lactase supplement and got sick from it based on my mistaken
information.

So far I only know of the original McNeil manufactured Lactaid Ultra
tablets, the original formula, as being GF. I have no problems with them at
all. With the Safeway tablets I get niggling pains in the right side of my
abdomen, mucous stools, and bloating, and I know what that means. I believe
the amount of gluten Safeway’s manufacturer is using in their lactase
product is less then McNeil is using in their Lactaid Chewable tablets
(which seven of them over a five day period really hammered me badly), but
the gluten is there nonetheless.

I’ve seen the Safeway GF lists floating around but have not been able to
find the lactase product on any of them, and I have not looked for the
enriched rice. Can anybody confirm for sure if these are infected?

Jerry
San Jose, CA