Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 15:21:24 -0700

questions. Here is some more information. I hope these items help you.
Sincerely, Janet Rinehart in Houston

1. Regarding LIVING WITHOUT MAGAZINE,  The new LIVING WITHOUT magazine
says it is "a lifestyle guide for people with food and chemical
sensitivities.  The publisher is a celiac. The whole first issue is
devoted to gluten intolerance.  Carol Fenster, Ph.D. is a contributing
food editor (author of Special Diet Solutions and Wheat-Free Recipes &
Menus (now 2nd edition with additions pertaining to gluten intolerance).
Medical advisors are Joseph A. Murray, M.D. (you know of him quite well
through the List) and R. Bruce Bessey, M.D. You can order this magazine
through Sully's Living Without, Suite 294, 1202N 75th Street, Downer's
Grove, IL  60516. One year for 4 issues is $12; two years for $20. Try
it, you'll like it!  (I have no financial interest in this magazine; I
am a subscriber, too.)

2. Dr. Harold Pruessner's article on "Detecting Celiac Disease In Your
Patients" from American Family Physician journal, March 1, 1998/ Vol.
57, No. 5, is located on the Web at "www.aafp.org/healthinfo".

2. People also wanted to see my generic letter to catering departments
to tailor to many occasions. I feel it is important to give suggestions
as to positive things I CAN eat as well as the no-no's. It is included
below.

GENERIC LETTER TO HOTEL CATERING DEPARTMENT

TO:             Catering Department and the Creative Chef
FROM:
SUBJECT:        Restricted Diet -- Need Assistance

   I will be eating at your establishment on _________________.  I have
some dietary needs and hope that you can assist me with the meals
provided.

   I have Celiac Disease, the only treatment for which is a strict
gluten-free diet.  This means no wheat, barley, rye or oats, or any
derivatives.  The problem is complicated by the fact that the offending
grains are hidden under nebulous terms on ingredient listings, i.e.,
modified food starch, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, HPP, TVP, natural
and/or artificial flavorings, emulsifiers, stabilizers, and perhaps
caramel flavoring, etc.  Cross-contamination is also a factor in terms
of getting crumbs from grilling where other breaded items lay, from a
regular toaster, French fries cooked in the same oil as onion rings,
etc.

   I do best with plain meat, poultry (chicken is better than turkey),
fish, fruit and vegetables.  Sauces are suspect, although I can use
cornstarch as a  thickener.  Most commercial soups, bouillon and
preapred basis,  especially bouillon cubes, I cannot use (although fresh
stock from bones is fine).  Plain rice cooked in water (rather than
bouillon) works.  Baked potatoes are a good starch, but the sour cream
is suspect.  Most soy sauces contain wheat, although San-J Tamari is
fine. Sometimes it is just a matter of choosing one brand over another.
(e.g., Daisy Sour Cream and Hellmann's mayonnaise are fine.)

   May I suggest a plain 100% all beef hamburger, grilled chicken breast
(no breading or marinade), grilled fish, plain grilled steak or ham
slice (no marinades) would work for an entree.  Plain salad  with oil &
wine or cider vinegar or another vinaigrette dressing on the side works.
(Distilled white or malt vinegar is questionable because they are grain
based.)  Plain fruits and vegetables are fine for accompaniments. I can
bring my own Kellogg's Corn Pops breakfast cereal (there is malt
flavoring in most commercial brands.), if necessary.  A possible dessert
would be fresh fruit, vanilla ice cream or sherbet.  I hope these
suggestions are helpful to you.

   I am enclosing some more information about common brands that are
gluten-free and a restaurant card with more details.  I hope you can use
this information for me and others to follow.

   I know that this is quite a lot to ask and may be a challenge.  I truly
appreciate all that you can do and look forward to thanking you in
person.  Please feel free to call me at                       if I can
provide you with any further information. Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
=============================

GLUTEN-FREE DIET BASICS

   Please DO NOT USE anything in my meal that contains wheat, barely,
oats, rye or the following grain-derived ingredients:

annatto color
binders
cereal or bran
cottage cheese (may contain food starches)
curry powder (may have flour as an unlisted ingredient)
emulsifiers
fillers
flavors (both artificial and natural flavor sources should be
questioned)
gluten from wheat, barley, rye and oats
granola
hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP)
Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
ketchup (though Heinz is fine)
leavening (if unspecified)
licorice
maltodextrins
modified food starch
mono- & di-glycerides
MSG  (imported source)
mustard (wheat flour may be a hidden ingredient)
rice syrup (may use barley enzymes)
shortening (vitamin E from wheat germ may be added); Crisco is fine
sour cream (may contain food starches)
soy sauce (wheat is an ingredient in most brands); San-J Tamari is fine
stabilizers
textured vegetable protein (TVP)
vegetable gum (may be made from forbidden grains)
vegetable shortening (may be made from forbidden grains, but Crisco is fine)