From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2012 18:54:56 -0400

Did you ever have a craving.  Well, suddenly, I absolutely needed my old dairy noodle kugel, but I never really followed any particular recipe.

This is what I made today, and it is really good.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter (fake butter, o.k.) an 8 x 8 inch square pan.  Mine is glass.  (I've been told if you're using a dark, non-stick metal pan to lower the heat alittle or cook it less.  But all my baking dishes are glass.)

Follow the directions for cooking flat gf noodles.  The closest I came to finding my old broad, egg noodles is Schar's Tagliatelle.  It says boil for 8 minutes, but you're going to be cooking the kugel for 50 minutes...with lots of liquid, so 6 minutes was fine.

Drain all the liquid and put noodles in baking pan.

While the noodles are boiling, mix in a bowl
2 large eggs, beaten
alittle less than 1 cup sour cream (low fat) or plain yogurt
about 2 cups low or non-fat cottage cheese
2 tsps vanilla
4 packets of sweetener.  I use Stevia in the Raw.  If using plain sugar, I'm guessing a couple if tablespoons is what I used to use.  (Stevia and other non-sugars are sweeter.)
a few generous shakes of cinnamon
and raisins....optional.  I used four of the really tiny boxes.  It looked like about half a cup, maybe less.  It doesn't matter.

Stir all of this into the noodles until well distributed.

Sprinkle more cinnamon on top.

Bake for about 50 minutes, until top is golden (not burnt), and it's not bubbling like crazy.  It thickens.

Depending upon the sizes of your servings, you can cut the pan into tic tac toe pattern and get 9 nice servings.  Some people use this as a dessert, but for my family, it was always a side dish.  (And it's great for breaking-the-fast dairy meals at the end of Yom Kippur.)

*******
*******