From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 08:38:57 -0600

I also was sick as a toddler which the doctors figured I developed an
allergy to milk but when they finally decided to start testing me I got
healthy again.  Mom said I never grew or gained weight for the 1.5 yrs
(about 1.5 to 3 yrs of age) I was sick but because I wasn't wasting away the
doctors didn't take her seriously that something was wrong with me.  Even
though I wasn't diagnosed as celiac the GI that did my biopsy said that I
just avoided those things that made me feel unwell.  I have never been a
bread, cookie,cake, pasta, etc eater.  I would go for the potatoes and rice
anyday over these items.  He said that because of my dietary habits I didn't
show the classic symptoms and that is what saved me from suffering.

I was biopsy diagnosed 3 yrs ago at age 34, only because of frequent anemia
as an adult (since starting to donate blood at 18) and the fact that my son
was biopsy diagnosed celiac with classic symptoms at age 20 mths.

In other words, I had no overt symptoms but the biopsy showed flat villi.

Another story of once a celiac, always a celiac.

If ever there was a cure found I would be joyful.  My son doesn't seem to
have a problem since he basically has known no other diet.  But for myself
since I wasn't suffering and eating whatever I wanted, this diet is still a
mental challenge even 3 years later.

Karen Bulmer
St. Albert, AB, Canada