Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:57:22 -0700

Twenty-seven people responded.  All have experienced or still do
experience the tingling, etc.  The summary follows:

>MANY people said they have this problem when they cheat on gluten.
When they make sure they don't get any gluten, it quits or gets
better.

>Several people said it could be popcorn causing it from a corn
allergy or artificial color allergy.  It was suggested our support
group member give up the popcorn totally or go to a hotair popper.
One person said microwave popcorn can be especially bad.

>Several said the answer for them had been B-12 injections.  Following
are some comments:  One person said the lack of B-12 in her body
caused nerve damage which in turn causes the tingling and must live
with it.  She said the B-12 range should be between 300 - 1500
according to her doctor; one was prescribed a series of B-12 shots,
large doses of water soluble vitamins E, A, and C, plus the other
vitamins and minerals normally found in multiple vitamin pills;
another said the numbness is called "paresthesia" (pronounced like
anethesia)--she had relief from B-12 injections monthly.  She has some
nerve damage believed to be from years and years of ingesting gluten.
One said B-12 problems can be from "pernicious anemia" when the
stomach doesn't produce "intrinsic factor" in the samll bowel.  This
creates an inability to absorb B-12 from food through the stomach and
must have the injections.

>One found the cause to be from a magnesium deficiency that in turn
caused a calcium deficiency.  After receiving intravenous magnesium in
the hospital, the tingling went away.  The tingling returned and
magnesium and calcium had to be taken again and probably always will.

>One mentioned the cause from rapid weight gain and water retention.
It did level out as the weight evened out.

>Other reasons suggested:  diabetes, deficiency of potassium or
calcium, and menopause.

>One person increased flax seed oil and later flax seed fiber.  Her
chiropractor suggested she might be getting too much in fatty acids
from the flax seed and it was depleting minerals.  She quit the flax
seed fiber and decreased the flax seed oil and the tingling has about
stopped.  She had been taking minerals as well.

>One suggested possibly Bell's Palsy, a lack of calcium, or diabetes.
In my friend's case, it involves more than the face to be Bell's
Palsy.

>One was tested for MS and the tests were normal.  This person is
still having it after 2.5 years and has no answers.  Maybe this
summary will help.

>One said her doctor thought it was from a reaction to the weight loss
and the exposure of nerves and muscles normally covered by a "fat"
layer.  The nerves and muscles become "climetized."

>One suggested to be sure and check with a neurologist in case of
damage to the spinal cord--it is atypical; should see a cardiologist
for heart problems; and study how she is doing emotionally--can be a
type of "glove anethesia" associated with problems accepting
situations.

Thanks to all of you for sharing.  I hurried your responses over to her
and hope she is helped as well as any of you who are struggling.

Have a great week-end. - Sharon in Kansas, USA