From:
Amy Kravitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:28:24 EDT

Hi To the Group,

   I have recently been diagnosed with CD. I am asymptomatic, and have been
on the GF diet for about 2+ mo. I never had any known upsetting gastric
symptoms as a result of ingesting gluten.

   I decided to go on my diet for health reasons, and I feel that I don't
want any long-term health problems down the line. This is how I justify
staying on the diet. I also try to say to myself that there is more important
things in life besides food.

   To be honest, however, I am getting a bit bored with the GF diet. I also
honestly, don't cook often at home, and eat out most of my meals. I still,
however, am determined to  stay on the diet.

   In the past I used to look forward regularly to eating out at Mexican,
Italian, Japanese, Chinese, etc restaurants. I often ate frozen pizzas and
the like for lunch, as well as Stouffer's frozen meals. ( I know, not a great
diet)

   Now when I eat out I get plain steak, chicken, fish, etc. It's a bit
bland.

   I want to know if it's a common phase/reaction for folks new to the diet
to feel this way until they settle in? Does this feeling pass in time? I
think I have read that there's a psychological mourning/grief period when one
goes on the diet and gives up foods they used to enjoy...

   Are there Mexican, Italian restaurants in my area that have anything I can
enjoy? I just kind of assumed this stuff is off-limits to me now. I used to
really look forward to having different cuisines now and then.

    Does anyone know of any simple recipe books for folks with CD? I don't
really enjoy toiliing in the kitchen, but I'm willing to do it to cook
simple, good tasting things.

   Any insight, help or ideas would be great.

   Thanks in advance,
   Amy Kravitz [log in to unmask]