From:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 21:08:49 -0600

Thank you so much for the quick responses!! By and large the consensis is that it is fine to trust Kraft. (and a few others as well.) below are just a few of the many responses I recieved. Thanks again!!
Becky

All Kraft and Nabisco products have changed their labeling. Gluten is clearly labeled and if a product like natural flavorings is derived from a gluten source it will say so in parenthesis next to the ingredient.  The modified food starch is derived from corn, potato or tapioca starch. If it comes from wheat starch the label will clearly state it. Nestle also labels everything on their products.

In my checking Modified food starch in the United states is from CORN. All
the products that I have called on like sour cream or yogert have in formed
me the same way

Modified food starch can be made with wheat or corn (and probably other
things as well!).  It's one of those items you need to check on.  But with
companies like Hormel, Kraft, Progresso, etc.  they will let you know if it
has gluten in it.

It's true.  You can believe the Kraft label.  Most modified foor starch is made from corn, not from wheat.  And almost all caramel coloring used in the U.S.is gf.
For someone like you who really wants to know what ingredients are OK, and which ones are not, the best thing you can do is to try to get hold of some back issues of Gluten-Free Living.  they do very well-researched articles on food ingredients.  Turns out that many of the ingredients frequently listed on the "trouble" lists are really OK.  Check it out.

If there is nothing after food starch, it is gf.  FDA labeling laws say so

 cant say there is no modified food starch with gluten, but almost all modified food starch in America is from corn or sometimes tapioca or  potato.  Wheat starch is used extremely rarely

carmel color in the US  is made from corn.  Gluten Free Living has a
complete listing of all
the things that were once considered  a nono - we have a support group of
over 300 members & Kraft is applauded because of the labeling.