From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:37:57 -0600

This is a staple birthday cake for my family. It is very rich and
chocolately, and is a quick cake that others perceive as very fancy and
time consuming. :)

4 oz bittersweet chocolate
1/2 c butter or margarine
3/4 c sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa

Grease an 8 or 9 inch springform pan (my favorite) or round pan. (The
larger pan will give you a thinner cake, which probably will only need to
bake about 20 minutes.) Line bottom with a circle of wax or parchment paper
and grease paper.

Break chocolate into pieces and put with butter or margarine into a
microwave safe bowl that will be big enough to ultimately hold all the
ingedients. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave until chocolate and
butter are melted, being careful not to burn them!

Remove from microwave. Stir until chocolate and butter are well mixed. Add
sugar and mix well. Add eggs and mix well. Sift cocoa onto mix and stir
until just mixed.

Put in greased pan. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until top has formed a
thin crust. Cool cake for 5 minutes, then invert onto a plate.

Topping options after cake has cooled:

- Perhaps a chocolate glaze (haven't tried one on it)
- Sift some unsweetened cocoa onto cake, then sprinkle with cinnamon
- Whipped cream is also a nice touch

Enjoy!

Chris
Minneapolis MN