From:
Miki Tracey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:28:32 -0500

Hey all

One of my friends just had a car accident after 'everything went gray'
when she was driving.  She told me that people were talking to her and
she didn't understand them even though she knew she should understand
them.  Her symptoms remind me of a low blood sugar, however....

She also has a number of the standard celiac symptoms including
irritable bowl disorder.  So she was wondering if any other celiacs
reported these blackouts.

From my experience, i was a fainter as a child.  I'd get too hot, or
whatever, and the whole world would suddenly be black and white at which
point i'd fall.  When i have a serious low blood sugar, the world gets
what i call muggly.  It slows down, and things i try to do don't work.
I also get a ghost headache and get very tired.  I described both to
her, and she said no.

She said the world went gray with a sort of cloudy haze and she was
trying to claw her way out of it when the impact occurred.  She said it
took an act of will to get out of the clouds, and at that point she
could not understand people who were talking to her.  Even though she
knew she should be able to.  The officer at the scene attempted to
administer a breathalyzer, and she said the first time she couldn't
understand what he wanted her to do. She said she fought it for a longer
time and she was most of the way out of it when she got to the
hospital.  I'm not clear on the rest, but she is very concerned.  They
are testing her for heart attack, and hopefully stroke (she's a bit
young for it, but is of age that it's not completely a freak concept)
and a cat scan, presumably looking for brain abnormalities/tumor but she
just can't figure out why it happened.

So she asked me to ask if anyone recognized the symptoms further than i
do in my limited experience.  If you have any ideas, or if you got
somethign like this with your celiac, please let me know.

--
Miki Tracey