Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 12:47:53 -0500

Hi All--

I'm not a physician, so I may not be asking this question in quite the right
way. I've been thinking about this issue for a long time, but haven't seen
anything in the celiac research/literature that addresses it.

My GI doc doesn't think there are many celiacs who suffer from constipation
[though he has a couple who do - me included]. Over the past few years, I've
noticed quite a number on this list who complain of constipation - and more
than one or two who consider the condition more than the occassional garden
variety.

If celiac disease can cause nerve damage, as in peripheral neuropathy,
changes in the brain measured by CAT or PET scan, wouldn't it seem
reasonable that CD, when undiagnosed for many years, could also cause damage
to the nerves in the intestinal tract, thereby initiating a possible
motility problem?

I am going in for an EGD and colonoscopy on May 30. I know my doc thinks
he's going to find the cause of my constipation, but I recall having
problems as young as 7 - he's probably not going to find anything. I'm
currently searching medical literature, but would appreciate any information
anyone on the list might have that's even remotely related.

Thanks ~~ Ayn in Alabama