From:
Karen Ryno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 1995 19:09:26 -0400

The fact you brought this up really blows my mind!  Simply because I never
had a bit of trouble until I took a trip to Mexico in '89.    It was my 3rd
time there in a 2 1/2 yr span and I was accustomed to the pre-medicating
 routine to counteract the usual dysentery reactions.  I don't remember now
what drug the doc prescribed, all I remember is  that my hands and feet were
on fire from the drug.  My husband and I spend 13 days in Cozumel (got
married there) at an all inclusive resort type place and they said that the
water etc was safe.  The funny thing is that for the first time, I didn't
really have much of a reaction while I was there.  Then exactly 1 month to
the big wedding day........BOOM!

I was checked for parasites which was negative and CD was diagnosed in '91.
 Later I heard about 'Tropical Sprue' and that it has the same symptoms as CS
but is treatable with high doses of antibiotics.  There is some information
on the subject but not much.  It is typically reported in those that spend
long periods of time in tropical areas.  Anybody have any info on this?

I never considered a prescribed drug to be the culprit.......interesting.

Karen Ryno