From:
rice cakes etc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:13:02 -0400

Dear Listmates,

Sounds like many of us have had to deal with hosts & hostesses (families,
friends, acquaintances) who haven't taken us seriously or understood when
we discussed our celiac special diets. Sooner or later, we learn to always
bring some "emergency" food with us, just in case.

Ann's idea to give people a very simple written explanation of gluten free
requirements has worked well when I'm the guest. I think it adds an element
of "truth" to our verbal statement of need, plus acts as a double check for
our host.

As I look back on this past year, I realized that I have become
particularly cautious with all who come to my house to eat or at any other
venue where I am responsible for the food. I always ask about food
allergies, intolerances & just plain dislikes prior to planning my menu.
And quite often I clearly label the different food dishes as gluten free,
or dairy free or whatever else seems to be needed.

My sensitivity to others had lead me to experiment with recipes in order to
produce foods that are nearly the same as the original recipes, but meet my
needs as a celiac as well as a their needs, instead of cooking numerous
versions of the same item. I have to admit that it means I am spending even
more time in stores reading labels - I never knew there were so many ways
to say lactose or that so many products that are kosher are also gf,
lactose free & vegetarian. I also spend time in bookstores & libraries
looking for new cookbooks like Carol Fenster's "Special Diet Solutions" -
(it has superb informational tables as well as numerous recipe substitution
suggestions).

And the rewards? Well, the "emergency" food bags guests may have brought
with them can go home unused. But the real reward for me is when I hear
someone say "I didn't expect to find anything to eat - this is great!"

My New Year's resolution is to continue to be empathetic to the dietary
needs of others. My other resolution is to continue to be a pain in the
butt re product labelling & ingredient disclosure!

Happy New Year everyone! I can't believe it's going to be 1999!

Helen in Vancouver, BC Canada