From:
Tarek William Moussa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

Hi everyone,

My doctor diagnosed me as a celiac based on my complaints which centered
around my digestive system.  It seemed 40 min. to 2 hrs after every
meal, I would have to run, not walk, to the bathroom.  So, I went gluten
free, and things were great for about two weeks.  Then things started
going downhill again.  After three months on the gluten free diet, I was
still having reactions to food I KNEW was gluten free (home-baked bread,
steak, fried rice with g/f soy sauce, blah blah blah), excepting, of
course, for the possibility of cross-contamination.  Because of this, I
decided it would be a damn good idea to have a biopsy-based diagnosis, and
therefore decided to reintroduce gluten into my diet in the hopes that
things would get bad, and the doc would say, "yup, celiac, no gliadin, see
you for a follow-up visit."  The problem is, that as soon as I went back
on gluten, things were absolutely wonderfu -- no digestive problems to
speak of, with one very important qualification.  It seems that as long as
I ate an almost completely fat-free diet my stomach was happy, as soon as
I introduced the slightest bit of fat (anyhting over 5g per meal is a good
estimate) stomach problems began anew. (btw, fat is only the most
observable thing, I haven't been able to test lactose and a few other
things)  Whew... hope that was complete enough, now for the actual
question.

Is it possible to have absolutely no reaction to the consumption of
gluten, while you react pretty strongly to other foods which are
gluten-free due to the problems that gluten causes?  (I know that in many
cases the ability to digest lactose and fat is compromised.)
Shouldn't I react to the gluten itself since celiac is supposedly
an intolerance?  Secondly, is there an official medical name for having a
problem dealing with fat?  I just want to be armed with as much
information as possible before my GI appointment.  Thanks in advance for
any info you guys can give me. :)

                                        -Tarek
                                         Austin, TX USA