From:
Marie Pollak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 02:20:16 -0500

As a Northwest Airlines employee, I often get the chance to surprise
passengers and travel agents when they request gluten-free meals.  The
surprise is not necessarily that Northwest offers gluten free meals, but
that I understand Why it is so important that passengers are provided
these meals.  However since most of my travel is done on a standby basis
I am not able to request it for myself.  I would like to share the good
news that I discovered on a recent trip where I found myself traveling
with a confirmed ticket and was able to have a special meal request
entered for me.

As the meal service was beginning, an announcement was made that special
meals had been requested and the passengers' last names were given. When
the flight attendant reached my row I told him my last name and was
provided with a salad topped with grilled chicken and a lemon and rice
wine vinaigrette dressing....the rest of  the passengers were served
cold sandwiches and Fritos since  this was a flight where a snack and
not a full meal service was provided.

I enjoyed the chicken salad and found it to be quite flavorful with no
after effects at all.

I would recommend the gluten free meals on Northwest, as someone who has
tried it, not just as an employee. :)