From:
Michelle Forsman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Forsman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:03:28 -0800

Green Bean Casserole…Place a can of Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup in
your greased baking dish/pan. Mix a generous Tbs. cornstarch into the
cold soup. Add drained green beans-canned or cooked from frozen. Top
with crumbled Frito-Lay FUNYONS (Imitation) Onion Rings, homemade onion
rings, or sprinkle onion powder generously over soup/bean mix & top w/
crushed potato.
  Bake as usual, 350º for ~30 min, until bubbly.

If you are willing to change that green bean casserole recipe, a bit,
there are easier alternatives. I make my own "pseudo-gourmet" version.
No canned soup, no fried onion ring things. I make my own white wine,
mushroom sauce, instead of canned soup, using large slices of good
mushrooms (wine, broth, olive oil, butter, onions, thickened with a
cornstarch slurry, can add milk or cream if you need it white and
creamy, mix in some organic green beans. To top it, I frizzle thinly
sliced leeks in hot olive oil, until golden brown. I also toast sliced
almonds, and mix the two things together to top the casserole. Everyone
seems to love it, no complaints yet.

I have done this for a few years now and it turned out great.  I made
my own gf cream of mushroom soup.  I cut up the onions and mixed them
up in an egg batter.  You can also put spices in if you want.  Then I
put them in the deep fryer that I have to make gf french fries.
If you don't have one of those, I highly recommend getting one.  They
fry up just like onion
rings or an onion loaf.  You can then use those in the green been
casserole recipe.  No one will know the difference.  Try not to eat all
of them before you get them in the casserole like we do !

I recently read a recipe that called for Funyons (I think from Frito
Lay?)
in place of the fried onions.  Sounds like a good idea.  I haven't yet
tried
this - so far I have just skipped the onions on top and used cheese
instead.

There is a batter recipe in Roben Ryberg's book.  It's awesome!  I use
it every year!  I don't cut the onions too thin though.

I've used water chestnuts, or just plain corn flake crumbs (the gf ones
in the can). Also, tried Classico Alfredo Sauce instead of the
Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup and was very happy!

I loved this casserole and really missed it.  I tried a version using
Progresso mushroom soup and just skipping the fried onions.  The only
problem was this soup is much "richer" than Campbell's lower fat cream
of mushroom and my sensitive gall bladder didn't react very well!

I use Frito Lay Funyons.....  I try to find the single serving size
"canisters" that have them in the mini-size... and Viola!

  Some Asian markets sell Indian fried onions, but they sometimes are GF
and sometimes not. They are also sometimes stale! If you can find GF
good ones, that helps in a lot of recipes. But I don't depend on
finding them.

I brown some roughly chopped onions in butter (frozen chopped onions
will do if you thaw and drain them), crumble some potato chips, and add
them all to my green bean casserole, using a little gf mushroom soup
like Imagine brand. Then after it has cooked a bit, sprinkle more
crumbled potato chips on the top and return to the oven just long
enough to brown. This gives you the onion flavor and the crunchy
topping and so far nobody has noticed the difference!

I don't know about the FF onions.  I'm too lazy to start making my
own, last year I used GF bread crumbs on the top of my green bean
casserole (mixed with melted margarine of course).  You could probably
use cornflake crumbs as well.

~~~~~

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I really appreciate it!!

Michelle
"DEACcat"
Sequim, WA

Diabetes