From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 02:39:14 -0400

I received a few replies concerning eating at Romano's Macaroni Grill.
It looks like they are, in practice, very willing to help folks with
food 'allergies.'

suggest talking to the head chef or manager before you stop in for a
meal.  They will apparently work with you to prepare a nice GF meal.
2.  If are bringing your own pasta for them to cook, call the restaurant
before driving to the restaurant.  They use very large pots to cook the
pasta.  They need enough time for the large pot of water to heat up.

*********Excerpts from the messages I received**********
--- "I have successfully eaten at Macaroni Grill by following
Corporate's
suggestion and dealing directly with the manager when I come in.  They
have
made my own pasta.  Some of the dishes are easily gf with slight
modifications.  I don't know if it is still on the menu (as they change
it
every 6 months or so) but they had a balsamic grilled chicken with
mozzarella cheese that was delicious and prepared gf for me."
--- "When we eat there, we call ahead and take our own pasta.  They have
to know ahead of time to have the water boiling because they use such
big pots, it takes a long while.  Their red sauce is gf and I believe
most of their sauces are.  You may want to visit with the head chef and
the manager at a slow time to discuss your needs."
--- "I have never eaten at Macaroni Grill, but my local celiac women's
group ate
there as a group. They reported that Macaroni Grill was quite
accommodating.
Each person brought there own pasta and the chef cooked it. Most if not
all
of their pasta sauces are GF."
--- "I ate dinner at a Macaroni Grill, tho it's been years ago.  I think
had no troubles.  They served me  a meat dish, with side of vegetables.
I do remember it was delicious.  My sister has a friend who works there;
and she was told they try really hard to work with people's food
allergies.  You might talk to your local restaurant."
--- "I spoke with the chef and he prepared a Portobello mushroom
specifically for
me as well as a great salmon that was broiled.  I enjoyed the meal and
they
were very helpful.  I ate at the one in Grapevine, TX."
--- "I haven't been to Macaroni Grill since diagnosis almost 3 years
ago.
However, the www.gfutah.org web page has a review of the local macaroni
grills that was posted a while ago and this is what they said:  "Most
people with celiac disease would look at the name of this restaurant and
immediately rule it out.  But surprisingly, this is  a very friendly
place to work with.  Though most of the menu consists of pasta, there
are some menu items consisting of grilled salmon, shrimp, or chicken.
If the entree comes with pasta on the side, they will substitute it with
steamed vegetables.  I simply informed the hostess and the server of my
condition, and they were all well trained to give excellent help.""

********Message from Macaroni Grill Customer Service********
Thank you for requesting nutritional information on our menu items.
We sympathize with your situation and would like to assist you in
determining which
menu items would meet your dietetic requirements.  Unfortunately, we are
unable to
provide this information.

Our restaurants stock many items that contain ingredients excluded
from your diet.  Most processed foods contain derivatives of wheat.
Therefore, out of an abundance of caution and concern for your health,
we cannot recommend menu items that are gluten free due to the potential
of cross contamination or adulteration.

We suggest you speak with the manager on duty or the head chef and
perhaps they can suggest and prepare a meal that would meet your dietary
requirements. Additionally, they will be happy to prepare the pasta you
bring into the restaurant, just speak with your server.

If you have additional questions please feel free to contact our Food
& Beverage Quality Assurance Department at 972/980-9917 and speak to
Karen Doty or Lisa
Walker, they would be happy to assist you.

Again, thank you for your interest in our restaurants.

M. Robbins
Guest Relations