From:
"Karen H. Shirley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen H. Shirley
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:46:16 -0800

I wanted to send a comment to the entire list on Kim's "Setting the Record Straight" Post.

First,  I think we should all remember that this list serve is about reaching out to others and being open, friendly and honest about our own experiences with celiac disease.   Hostile emails don't get any one anywhere and really do not belong on the list serve.   I think we can all express differing opinions without anger, disrespect or requests to stop a certain type of information sharing.

I think that any information any one wants to share with the list serve is generally appropriate.  As Kim indicated in her email, each of us is different in both how we react to gluten and gluten containing products and in the information we would like to have in order to make our own decisions about what to use or not use.  I personally found the information from the Canola representative helpful in learning more about how the product is made and grown.  If you don't agree with the information in a particular email, it is great to respond to the individual or the group about why you disagree with a specific basis for that disagreement -- ie that Canola oil still bothers you despite "scientific evidence" because that could be very useful to others who may not know what is still bothering them.   The more information we can share between ourselves about how this disease manifests itself the better able we are to justify for ourselves why we make our own
 decisions and the better the entire community is able to handle the range of ways it manifests itself.

I hope this email doesn't offend anyone, including you Kim. The information about how sensitive you (Kim) are to any exposure to gluten is very interesting as is how you have to address it.  However, I just felt like the hostility in the email, as there has been in a few others lately, takes away from the overall usefulness of this forum.  Perhaps this email may not change that.   But I find this list serve to be an amazing source of information and support, and hope that before people send emails they think about the entire audience on the list serve instead of just themselves.   Please limit your responses to me to positive things -- if this makes you mad go hit a punching bag.