From:
Lorraine Tappen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lorraine Tappen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 05:26:48 -0700

Here is the summary on hamburgers.  Overall advice: best to investigate.
  ***
  I always ask if they add flour or cracker crumbs to their burger to
enhance
the flavor and I have had a couple say yes. I've gotten a yes every
time
I've asked about a turkey burger too! And if you get a cheeseburger,
don't
ask for American because it will probably be processed cheese which can
have
gluten You're much safer with Swiss or provolone. Also, make sure you
have
them put foil on the grill when they cook your burger and change their
gloves before they handle your meat. Makes you want to eat at home,
doesn't
it?
****
  I've gotten hamburgers at many places, either wrapped in lettuce or
just without the bun. I always ask if it's 100% beef, ie no fillers etc.
if it's a place I haven't been before and also make sure they don't
marinate them in something with soy sauce. I've  always been told they are
100% beef and I've never had a problem. It's one of my favorite
McDonald's meals along with a side salad.
***
  Always have to ask. One restaurant adds French Onion Soup mix to their
burgers and it has wheat. I ended up the children's burger which was
plain. It's a big nuisance though.
***
  Hi. I no longer eat hamburgers (or any other meat besides fish), but
wanted to point out that 100% beef refers to the meat content only,
not the total content of the burger. A 100% beef burger can still
contain egg, breadcrumbs, soy, whatever, just as long as the only
meat in it is beef. Unless you are avoiding the other possible meats
for other reasons, the question to ask is not "is this burger all
beef?" but rather, "what does it contain besides meat?" I never met a
restaurant that was good about telling me what _else_ was in the
burgers, unless I asked some fairly pointed questions regarding
possible other ingredients.
***
  ONly once.  A restaurant used flour as a filler in their burgers.  We thought it was odd.  We had eaten them before without realizing it and did not get sick.  I am not sure if they gave us correct info.  But we now avoid them just in case.
  ***
  We were at a catered picnic a few summers ago, and the caterer told us
the
hamburgers they were serving had gluten fillers in them.
We have had very good experiences ordering the bunless hamburgers at
our
local western PA Red Robin restaurant. The come wrapped in lettuce.
Also,
while in southern CA, we had the protein burger at In & Out Burgers,
which
was also a burger wrapped in lettuce and very good. Their ff were gf,
too,
and the best I have ever had.  I  think In & Out is only in CA and
Arizona,
though.
****
  I had one time when I ordered a "hamburger steak", and what was served to me appeared to be too crumbly to be just meat.  I forgot to mention my dietary restrictions when ordering.  I asked the waitress to check with the cook, and was told it had bread crumbs mixed with it.  This was at a Mom & Pop restaurant.

In 10 years, I have never had a problem ordering a hamburger without the bun.  I usually say that "I will get sick if my meal contains any amount of flour or bread of any kind".   It's not a scientifically correct or complete statement, but is simple and short enough for them to understand, and has a good chance of providing a safe meal (if I remember to say it when ordering).
***
  When we travel a stop at McD's for double cheeseburgers w/o the bun is common.  We take our own bread or buns.  We've never had a problem.
***
  I have not run into hamburgers that are not 100 percent beef. The best
that
I have eaten are the low carb lettuce warps from Carl  jr. I don't know
if
the mayo and mustard are GF, but I have never had a reaction and eat
them
often.
***
  I've never run into one that wasn't 100 percent beef.