From:
"J. Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 21:35:35 -0600

I am grateful for the enlightenment of the group on the questions
relating to buckwheat/quinoa.  It does reveal the real difficulties not
only for gluten intolerant individuals but also for those professionals
that advise those intolerant individuals.  My practise jas been to err on
the safe side.  Being Irish I tend to emphasize the more commonly
available starch sources such as rice and root vegetables ( including
potatoes) and advise individual patients not to utilise large quantities
or frequent use of flours generated from exotic or unusual grains.
Obviously this needs to be tailored to individual patients
sensitivities.  In patients with celiac disease gluten ingestion does not
always lead to symptoms but it may lead to damage or chronic delayed
onset symptoms. My impression is that people who are quite adventurous (
from a dietetic point of view) are more likely to have continued problems.
 Joe Murray