From:
Caroleric <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caroleric <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:47:41 +0100

Dear List

Here is a summary of the responses I received regarding the above.  Many thanks to you all for your help:

1.  " The pharmacist should be able to contact the suppliers for you.  We've done
this several times.  Alternatively, look on the outside of the package.
There's usually a telephone number to contact.

We actually have a list called UK-Coeliac on Yahoo.  Why not join us."

2.    " http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/

> http://www.clanthompson.com/celiacsite/res_info_lists.html
>
> http://www.stokesrx.com/celiac.html"

3.    "> Try www.glutenfreedrugs.com"

4.     Since the formulations for a drug can change more often than web pages
 can be updated.  It's best to get the number for the manufacturer of
 your desired drug (from your pharmacist, the info that comes with your
 prescription, or the Physician's Reference) and call the manufacturer.
 They will be able to tell you if the drug contains gluten.

5.    "Hi Carole, try www.glutenfreedrugs.com , think that is what you need."

6.    "Hi Carole. You might be able to get the info from a uk support group. Try
<celiac.co.uk>"

7.    "Go to the web site:                 www.glutenfreedrugs.com"

8.       "I decided to update my own gluten-free medicine list
 (i.e. double check the prescriptions I'm on). I
 contacted several pharmaceutical companies and below
 are the results. (The manufacturer's name appears on
 all prescriptions at the bottom the label. Often it is
 an abbreviated form, though. One way to find out the
 full name is to go to http://www.pharma-lexicon.com/.)

 Geneva Pharmaceuticals --

 "Currently, we do not have a listing of all
 manufactured products that do or do not contain
 gluten.  We have individual information for each
 product, but no such listing exists."

 I checked on Diclofenac Sodium 75mg (generic Voltarin)
 and Loratadine 10mg (generic Claritin) specifically,
 and they are both gluten free.  They manufacture
 loratadine for my store brands. They could not send me
 a list of the brands, but if you check on the box, it
 will tell you who makes it. I know that the Wal-Mart
 brand is manufactured my Geneva and is therefore safe.

 To check on any other medications manufactured by
 Geneva, call (800) 525-8747 or email at

> Claritin -

 The following forms of Claritin are gluten-free:
 Claritin allergy, Claritin RediTabs, Claritin syrup,
 Claritin-D 12 hour and Claritin-D 24 hour.

> Mylan -

 "Mylan does not add gluten (i.e. wheat, rye, barley,
 oats, or spelt) to any of the products that we
 manufacture. Mylan uses only synthetic alcohols in the
 manufacture of our products. The starches used in our
 products are corn, rice and potato based."

> Forest -

 "Nearly none of our products contain wheat, rye,
 barley, oats, spelt, or components of natural grapes.
 They are all Gluten-free. (Gluten defined as "a
 mixture of insoluble plant proteins present in grains
 such as wheat, rye, barley and oats- used as a flour
 substitute".)  Feostat Suspension is the only product
 that contains gluten. It is comprised of 0.43% of the
 total volume of Feostat.  From that 0.43%, 20% is
 malted barley."

Thanks once again.

Regards

Carole