From:
Carl Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:30:25 -0400

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's the recommended restaurants in the
Portland, Salem (and Eugene) areas of Oregon. You'll notice that some of
the restaurants were suggested by more than one person.

>>there is a restaurant called Old Wive's Tale on the east side of
Portland, and it is very accomodating of children.  They used to have all
sorts of gluten free meals, including pasta.  Last time I was there (two
years ago) they had all the ingredients listed.

>>I live in Eugene (about 40 miles south of Salem) and am familiar with
only one restaurant in Eugene that is gluten-free.  It is called
Chapala's Mexican Restaurant on the 29th Street (just off South
Willamette Street).  The food is wonderful and my husband and I eat
there all the time.  He is a celiac and extremely sensitive to gluten.

>>Any of the Shari's restaurants in the Portland Salem area are ok. That is if
you are willing to eat a breakfast. I had a broiled hamburger with two eggs
and hash browns today for lunch. You can also have their omelets with hash
browns. For a real treat go to Toms pancake house in Beaverton and have
their puffed up omelet with hash browns. Excellent. Up here where I live
[Zig Zag] by Mt. Hood we have two GF friendly restaurants. One is
Mexican.

>>I've moved out of the Portland area, but spent most my life up there.  The
one place when I go to visit my folks that I usually always eat at is the
Mongolian Grill.  There's one in Salem too.  I always ask the cook to clean
the grill before cooking my dinner.  What I like about it is you get to pick
and choose what you want and can watch the food being prepared.  I feel
loads more comfortable knowing what is in the food and watching it so
there's no cross contamination.  The Salem rest. isn't titled Mongolian
Grill.  I think it's called King's Mongolian Grill or something like that.
The ones in Portland (there are several) are called Chang's Mongolian Grill.

>>Since Oregon is a coastal state, we have lots of restaurants that serve
fish.  In Portland, go to Jake's (they have a steak place and a seafood
place).  We have lots of restaurants in the Northwest area of town on 23th
and 21st streets.  Try the Thai restaurant called "Typhoon".  My favorite
restaurant is a small Italian restaurant called Mimi's on 21st street.  They
have GF food on the menu - let them know what you can/cannot eat and they
will take care of you.

>>A wonderful (relatively pricey) place on the
southeast side of town where the staff always have been most accommodating
is Fiddleheads.  I am about an "8" on a 1-10 sensitivity scale and also
avoid soy and canola oil, and I've never had a reaction to a meal there. A
bit riskier (they think spelt is GF, but do label all ingredients on the
menu), but a good choice for a simpler meal is Old Wives Tales, a mostly
vegetarian place, also on the east side. Finally, there is a sushi place
near Fiddleheads called Saburo's (sp?) that is very reasonable in price and
good.  Generally, I haven't had any difficulty with good restaurants in
Portland. I usually order some sort of seafood. Also, Nature's (several
locations) has some GF takeout items as well as GF groceries.

>>nancys natural foods in canby is worth stopping by..there number is
1-877-862-4457  (toll free)

I know that these suggestions will help me, and hopefully others as well.

Carl in Boise