From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:32:39 -0700

About 5 years ago, someone on this list (may be Roy?) told me about Dr.
James Wilson's book, ADRENAL FATIGUE: THE 21ST CENTURY STRESS SYNDROME.  I
learned a lot from reading this book, and the one thing that has made the
biggest impact on my daily well being is Dr. Wilson's advise on preventing
the afternoon crash.  His recommendation is as follows:

(1) Avoid fruits before noon
(2) Drink a cup of water containing about 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the
morning.

This intervention is aimed at balancing the electrolytes that are out of
whack for people with adrenal fatigue.  We tend to lose excessive amounts of
sodium thru the urine, while retaining too much potassium.  This causes a
drop in blood pressure especially in the afternoon.  I've been following
this advise for about 5 years & find it very helpful.  In addition to
drinking salted water in the morning, I've found it helpful to drink a
little salted water (or take a salt tablet w/ water) anytime I feel a little
tired during the day.  It almost always gives me a little boost.

My questions are:  Has anyone else on this list tried this?  Did it help you
avoid the afternoon energy crisis?

Valerie in Tacoma