From:
Tim Meadows <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:42:24 EST

I have given a lot of thought to a past post on "well meaning friends".  The
poster shared that she took her own ham to holiday meals to be sure it was GF.
This caused problems with family members because they felt reading the label was
a good enough proof of the GF status of their ham.   Another friend baked a GF
recipe, but the poster was uncertain about cross containmation of things like
baking powder, etc.  These people were both  "well meaning" but they didn't
understand how careful we must be.

I have been wondering how my family will deal with these issues as my 3 year old
grows older.  How do we educate family and friends without offending them?  My
thoughts have been on an "open letter" from the list explaning celiac and some
of the issues and information many of us have learned here.  In my family,
information from a group would carry a lot more weight because I am the youngest
child and they still don't take me seriously (I'm 33 years old).  What do you
think?  Is there someone more eloquent with words and more tactful than I who
would like to help write such a letter?  I have thought through a partial
outline of what I think it should include.

Kay Meadows
Warsaw, IN