From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 07:29:04 GMT

Kalle Reichelt has signed off this conference due to the volume of email he
must process from other sources.  He has asked me to forward to him posts on
gluten and autism, schizophrenia, or other developmental / mental changes.  I
sent him the posts from yesterday and got this reply, which I am posting here
with his permission:

Message 13      11/21/94  8:29 AM
Subject: Diet and mental disease
From:  Kalle Reichelt,[log in to unmask],Internet

Due to epidemiology Prof Dohan, Philadelphia proposed that there was a
clearcut connection of gluten to schizophrenia (Dohan et al (1984) Biol
Psychiat 19:385-399; Dohan (1983) Biol psychiat 18:561-564). See also Lorenz
K (1990) Adv in Cereal Sci and Technol X:435-469. The effect of diet takes a
long time because the kidneys are very well adapted to preserve peptides and
proteins. We found that it took 28 weeks of strict diet to normalize the
urinary excretion of peptides in a double blind study of diet followed with
urine analysis and rating scales (Reichelt et al (1990) J Orthomol Med
5:223-239). Most experiments on diet have been far too short in time ,but
even then all admit to individuals being  much improved on diet although not
statistically for the group (Rice JR et al (1978) Amer J psychiat
135:1417-1148; Storms LH et al (1982) Arch Gen Psychiat 39:323-327;NB:
Vlissides DN et al (1986) Brit J Psychiat 148:441-452)

The low number partaking in the experiments have been citizised (King DS
(1985)Biol Psychiat 20 :785-787.). Clearcut effect of diet in schizophrenia
was found by a) Dohan and Grasberger (1973) Am J Psychiat 130:685-686: Singh
and Kay (1976) Science 191: 401-402; Cade R et al (1990) Psychiatry :A world
perspective 3: 494-500 (he uses our u
ine screening too).

In autistic children we have very good results as documented with STRICT diet
 (Knivsberg SA-M et al (1990) Brain Dysfunct 3: 315-327 and also Reichelt Kl
et al (1991) Brain Dysfunct 4:308-319).In the last publication evidence for
the identification of bovine casomorphin 1-8 immunoreactive peptides was
reported, and opioids are formed from food proteins in the gut .Also
extremely important is the fact that everybody takes up bioactive peptides
and also trace amounts of protein from the gut (Gardner MLG (1994) in
Physiology of the gastrointestinal tract (Johnson LR : edit) Rave Press, NY
pp 1795-1820) ,That this is so can be seen from the fact that we all have IgG
antgibodies to food proteins .Because there are 15 opioid sequences in one
molecule of gluten (Fukudome and Yoshokawa (1991) Febs lett 296:107-111) even
trace amount so protein uptake can be catastsrophic if not properly broken
down.

In general we also find increased IgA antibody levels in schizophrenics
(reichelt et al in press) and usually peptide increased in the urine. The
problem is usually that diet is tried as a last resort , and because there
are strong indications that opioids inhibit the normal maturation of the
CNS (Zagon and Mclaughlin (1987)Brain Res 412:66-72) it is no wonder that we
often are too late or that it takes time to change the course of the disease.
 NMR studies are quite clear that trophic changes do take place . The opioids
do get in the CNS as in Post partum psychosis ,which is a dramatic and
symptom rich psychosis (Lindstr|m et al 1984)Amer j psychiat 141:1059-1066)

Diet is however, not easy and may be experiences as a socially isolating
procedure. It must also be strict. Finally the opioids make it difficult to
quit  the food in question as in all addictive states. More details can be
obtained by writing me directly   Cheers    TINY

K. Reichelt
Pediatric Research Institute
N-0027 Oslo, Norway
Tel: +47 22 86 90 45
Fax: +47 22 86 91 17
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

--- n.b. from Bill:  if you do email Reichelt privately, please post anything
of interest on the Celiac conference, as there are a number of subscribers
who are very interested in this topic.  He has authorized me to post any of
his letters to this conference.