From:
Laurie Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:10:19 -0700

The gastroenterologist that is seeing my 15 year old said:

"that since my son's endomesial antibodies panel (TtG, etc.) bloodwork came back in the normal range;  that my son will never develop celiac disease in the future."

For some reason I disagree. (The endo. biopsy was okay.  The reason we tested was because his general physician had tested blood [not the complete panel] - I'm a celiac and I have had my son tested periodically over the past 9 years.  But this time he had some positive readings).  Also my son wasn't gaining weight and was/is having GERD.  I wrote this List when that was going on.  I still have some misgivings about this gastro., however we are going back for the 4 month check next week.

Interestingly enough my son had gained 15 pounds at the 2 month check.   Which coincided with his super intensive school sport conditioning program that included lifting weights for those 2 months.  Although I pointed that out to the gastro., the gastro. explained that the "prilosec" was doing it's job.  My son has since lost some of that muscle mass, so am interested to see how he weighs in at the gastro's.  The gastro. has discouraged a gf diet  - which reinforced my son's resistance to going gf on a trial basis.

QUESTION:

Does anyone know if it's true that a one time antibody bloodwork panel reading is a permanent diagnosistic "rule out" for celiac disease?

Thank you in advance,  Laurie