Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:41:07 -0400

  Maybe some of you are wondering about what happened to Alice's adventures in
waffle land?  Well, I ended up purchasing a Nordic Ware stovetop waffle iron.
This is a non-electric iron that goes right on top of the stove. It was
recommended to me by the owner of http://www.concordshop.com/whoweare.html.  It
is exactly like the one my family used to use in the 1980s, but it does not have
a built-in thermometer.  We didn't miss the thermometer.  The product is still
the best waffle iron ever.

You can read about the NordicWare waffle iron here, including the fact that you
can make waffles in a hurricane using this waffle iron -
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/nordic-ware-belgian-waffler-reviews

I used the Pamela's baking mix, substituted buttermilk for water, oiled the iron
according to package directions using peanut oil, and doubled the amount of oil
in the recipe, so instead of using 2 tablespoons I used 4.  This is consistent
with other waffle recipes which generally have more oil than pancakes.  Trial
and error taught me that med-low is the correct setting on my gas stove, but the
temperature would have to be adjusted on any stove. Anyway, presto - out comes
the waffle without leaving a trace behind.

The most important thing about this waffle iron is that, because it is not
electric, it is completely submersible - that's right, you can dump the whole
thing right in the sink full of soapy water.  So, before I had hit on the
correct temperature, and before I had made the adjustment to peanut oil and
added additional oil in the batter, I was able to soak and completely clean out
a failed experiment with no damage to the iron.

Problem solved!

Alice