From:
Ruth Arcuri-Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:21:57 -0400

On May 1, the very newly formed

   Celiac/DH Support Group of the Northern Shenandoah Valley (Virginia)

will hold its second meeting at 333 West Cork Street (at the "old
hospital" in Winchester.) We will meet on the first level in the Day
Rehabilitation Program conference room.

We will continue to discuss our goals for the group and to develop a
'packet' or 'folder' of information/local resources for new celiacs in
our area.  Of course, we will have time to continue to get acquainted
and share experiences.

We will have a gluten-free snack and everyone attending is encouraged to
bring a favorite recipe or gf product to share.

We were very pleased to have had 7 people at our first meeting; and I've
received other phone calls since then from people in our area interested
in the group.  So I'm sure our numbers will grow quickly.  But, what we
lack in numbers right now, we make up for in enthusiasm.  Everyone was
eager to participate and to help educate others in this area about
Celiac and DH.

Our local gastroenterologists surprised us by mailing announcements
about our group to all their celiac patients.  A number of their
patients attended the first meeting.  We are very grateful for the
doctors' and staff's support.

As a bonus, if you're new to Winchester, VA, the first week in May is
traditionally Apple Blossom Festival.  We are a major apple-producing
area and the festivities will begin on May 1 and end with a huge parade
on the weekend. Hundreds of craft tents will be set up in the park as
well.

The Shenandoah Valley is especially beautiful this time of year with
acres of blossoming apple trees.  We have unending miles of hiking
trails in the Blue Ridge Mountains as well as the famed Appalachian
Trail which winds through the region. For non-hikers there are scenic
drives throughout the Valley and mountains and my town of Strasburg is
the 'antique capital of the East.'

So, we'd love to have visitors at our Support Group meeting on May 1 and
plan to stay for our Apple Blossom Festival - just let us know you're
coming so we can give you directions.

Ruth Arcuri-Kovacs

    for the Celiac/DH Support Group of
   Virginia's Northern Shenandoah Valley.