From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:26:43 -0800

Hi All,
I received more answers to my question about why others don't want to know
about celiac disease:
Thank you again!

My daughter, 17, added her opinion too. She said that people are so
conditioned into believing that grains are good and doctors know everything
and pills are necessary that it is a shock to their system that everything
they have been taught is wrong. They would rather not have to compute all that!

think it's because they don't like the sound of endoscopy.

... just wanted to offer my
"2centsworth".I was dx in April 2000, so 2 years ago. My husband of 35 years
had just passed away in Nov 1999, was still grieving from that, he died from
colon cancer, so when my gastro told me I needed to stay on the diet or
chance dying from abdominal cancer, that's all it took! I have no desire to
put my kids through all that again, and just want to be healthy. I'm feeling
better now than I have in years and happy to have found the cause of my
problems, life is great! And a new husband(the love of my life) helps,too!

I HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT HAS CELIAC... DIAGNOSED IN FACT ABOUT 17 YRS AGO BUT
WON'T GIVE UP HER GLUTEN SHE  SAYS SHE HAS MEGA PROBLEMS . BUT SHE DOESN'T
THINK I KNOW ANYTHING

MY DAUGHTER AND HER TWO KIDS HAVE MEGA MENTAL PROBLEMS , BUT WHAT CAN ONE
DO ? NOTHING. MY DAUGHTER (40) HAS A PITUITARY TUMOR AND HAS TO GO TO THE
MAYO(IF SHE DOESN'T BACK OUT) THEY WILL OPEN HER HEAD AND LAZER THE TUMOR.
BUT SHE WON'T GO GLUTEN FREE . SO SAD. BOTH KIDS 15 AND 16 YR HAVE MENTAL
PROBLEMS.. WERE GLUTEN FREE WHEN BABIES TILL ABOUT 3 AND 4 YR.
  THE OLDEST WAS GF TILL AGE 8. HER BRAIN WAS DEVELOPED ENOUGH SO SHE
DIDN'T GET MENTAL PROBLEMS AND SHE WON'T GO GF EITHER . SHE'S 20 YR AND HAS
A 5 MO BABY WHO HAS APNEA AND GETS SICK A LOT.

Well some people do not believe it will make them well and think it is
better if they never know. I sometimes wish I had never found out. You see,
I am asymptomatic. Whether I eat gluten or not I do not feel any
differently. As a matter of fact, every time I go on a gluten free diet and
get re-tested for biopsies it shows an improvement, even though I never
totally eliminate gluten. For one year I eliminated as much as could and
only cheating periodically. The biopsy revealed almost "healed" villi. It
just shows you a little gluten is not as bad as a lot (1 gram is NOT the
same as a 1000grams). Everyone is different and some people can't handle
it. I feel great (better than I ever had) and had a "huge" Onion bagel a
couple of weeks ago. It did absolutely nothing to me and I still feel
wonderful. I think the best treatment is to listen to your body!

I expect that by now you don't care if you hear another word about "Why...",
but I simply must respond to the remark about doctors. Since until every
recently celiac sprue was thought to be an extremely rare condition, little
space is given to it in medical textbooks. Medical students are taught,
logically enough, that when they are trying to reach a diagnosis, the thing
to do is test for the most commonly occurring possibilities first. So a
person is diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia or folate anemia or
osteoporosis, or one of the many other disabilities that celiac disease can
cause. Now the doctor and the patient think that they know what the problem
is, and the doctor ends up treating the symptoms and not the underlying
condition.
I too am frustrated and heartbroken because some of my loved ones are not
getting tested, either because they don't want to be, or because their
doctors think they don't have celiac symptoms and won't order the tests. But
if we will persevere, I think we are on a roll, and the foods we need are
becoming more easily available. My understanding is that CSA/USA has an
ongoing program to send information about celiac disease to doctors, and GIG
is doing quite a lot about getting the word out to dietitians, most of whom
are eager to have the information they need to advise their celiac clients
correctly. All this takes money and time. Any of either that we can
contribute to the effort will end up helping everybody. Hurrah! Onward!

because they like pastry, cake, cookies and pie and wish you would mind your
own business.. a celiac in Atlanta.

All the best to everyone!

Susan