From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:46:48 -0800

Dear Celiac "No-Lo-Salters":

I inquired about safe salt substitutes, as when I went to shop for one I found an array of products with all sorts of flavorings and other mystifying ingredients. Though in the health food section of a large market in NYC (Fairway) there was no visible presence of the Morton's products listed below.
I will return and do a better search this time!

I received quite a few replies as to which salt substitutes are safe:

1. Morton`s No Salt & Morton`s Lite-Salt and Morton's Salt Substitute -- all are Gluten- Free.

(These are listed in the CSA Gluten-Free Product Listing 9th Edition)
If you are interested you can call CSA and order it toll free at 1/877-CSA-4CSA.

2. Lo-Salt (UK) no probs.  Reduced sodium..

3. Mrs. Dash One commented on the metallic taste of a salt substitute, and suggested
 Mrs. Dash for better flavor....a little lemon  juice gives food a somewhat "salty" flavor.
The red bottle cover of Mrs. Dash - for more spicy flavor
The yellow lid has less garlic

4. Trocomare -A.Vogels organic herb seasoning salt is my favourite-
not salt free bit very low in Sodium.
I live in Aust. but it is a USA product.

Re: potassium chloride (salt substitute): not bad if you use it lightly...avoid any potassium
supplements, though, the maximum approved dose of potassium is 99 mg.
You do need some sodium in your diet, especially in hot weather when you sweat.

Nancy in nyc