From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:16:15 -0800

I've been asked by so many how I do a starch free/sugar free diet without
losing weight.  I decided to share my answer with the whole group:

I cook chicken, beef, pork & chicken liver in LARGE quantity.  I always
have plenty on hand in my frig for whenever I get hungry.  Chicken wings
are my favorite snack.  I also like shrimp & other seafood.  I eat large,
man size servings of meat or fish and one or two veggies at a meal.  It's
satisfying & I rarely feel hungry for long.  For between meals snacks, I
usually have freash fruit.  I eat three or four whole fruits a day.
About the starchiest foods I eat are cooked carrots, rutabagas & turnips.
 About twice a week I have nuts, but can't tolerate much because of
allergies.  I'm a bean pole, but maintaining my weight & energy while
keeping a very taxing & busy schedule.  I, like many who have responded,
also can't afford to lose anymore weight, but eating starches & table
sugar sets off a cascade of very unpleasant events in my gut that
eventually makes me sicker  lose more.  (At least that's been my
experience for the past couple years.  Who knows what next year will
bring?)  I seem to only maintain my health & weight when I avoid starches
& sugars.  I'm just better off without. There are various diets out there
that are similar to mine. Search the web for paleo diet, cave man diet,
specific carbohydrate diet, hypoglycemia diet, Atkins, low carb, etc.
there's tons of stuff out there to help.  Find one that works best for
you. ~Valerie

Shrimp cocktail:  Thaw frozen shrimp.  Serve with cocktail sauce made of
tomato sauce, horseraddish sauce, vinegar, sweetener of choice, salt &
pepper.

Salmon fillet:  lay fillet skin side up on foil wrap.  Bake 15 minutes at
350.  Remove from oven & peel off skin.  Season with lemon juice or
orange juice, parsley, salt & pepper.  Wrap tightly in foil & return to
oven for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on  how thick fillet is.)  Serve
immediately with steamed veggies.

Easiet chicken wings:  Dust chicken wings with Lawry's season salt &
paprika.  Bake 25 minutes on each side at about 350.  So good & so easy.
If you want hot wings, add cayenne pepper before baking.

Crock pot pork:  Just put a bunch of pork chops or pork roast in the
crock pot & cook til tender.  Dump in a can of crushed pineapple about 5
or 10 minutes before serving.  Good with stir fry oriental veggies.

Crock pot beef:  Cook beef in crock pot with sliced onion & one can of
V-8 juice, a little vinegar & a dab of honey.  If you want a stew, add
rutabagas & carrots in the beginning.

Chicken livers:  fry several strips of cut up bacon in skillet.  Add
chopped chicken livers & stir fry til done.  (Just a few minutes.  Over
cooking will make it tough.)  Season with salt & pepper.  Serve with
unsweetened apple sauce.

If you can eat eggs & cheese, you have it made in the shade.  I can't,
'cause I'm allergic to both.  Boiled eggs or cheese & apples would make a
handy snack.

When I want something sweet, I use a tiny bit of honey or saccharin.
Table sugar causes me gas & bloating.

In the summer, I like fruit smoothies made with juices & various fresh &
frozen fruits.  I use a lot of papaya as a base because I'm allergic to
bananas.

Gelatin desserts can be made with 100% fruit juice & fruits cooked in
their own juice.

Yes........It's boring at times & I do spend way more time in the kitchen
than I want to.  But I have no choice if I want to stay healthy.  If I
don't take care of myself,  no one else will.

I also take probiotics -- Primadophilus brand from the refrigerator
section of the health food store.

~Valerie

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.