From:
Diane Meier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 23:52:31 -0400

Reading the summary on joint pain made me realize that I may have celiac
disease, as well as my two-year old granddaughter.  I went back and did
some reading on diseases related to CD, and I have several of them.

My parents,brothers and sisters and I all have various autoimmune
diseases and mental conditions (schizophrenia, panic attacks, bipolar,
depression), so it's clear there's a genetic element operating here.
I am treated for fibromyalgia, environmental allergies (dust,
mold,etc),osteoporosis and depression.  I currently have a white blood
cell count of 2.8, and my doctors don't know why.  I have had this off
and on for years

My grandaughter has a "classic" case of  celiac disease.  She is being
treated at the University of Maryland Celiac Research Center
(Dr.Faisano)  As part of the genetic research at the center, my
daughter,son-in-law- and I all had the blood antibody and gene tests.
We don't have the results of the gene test, but the blood antibody tests
did not indicate that any of us have CD; we are asymptomatic, in terms
of GI problems.

I'm looking for help in deciding whether I should go ahead with a
biopsy. Also, does anyone know if it would be possible to test for
celiac disease and cancer with the same biopsy procedure

Thank you so much.

Diane