From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:56:09 EST

I just bought Gluten-Free, by Michael Cox.

What a delight to buy a book with gorgeous photos and no belaboring of being
celiac. He gives a great background in the beginning....and then the book
looks normal, no weird ingredients....just gourmet style, delicious,
easy-to-prepare recipes.

If you're not allergic to eggs, try the Tortilla, which I thought was a
frittata. Doesn't matter what you call it. Potatoes, onions and eggs. Simple.
Wonderful. I can't wait to try more recipes. They all look great.

Also....For those who live near or can drive to Cherry Hill, NJ, go to Siri's
French Thai Restaurant, opposite the now defunct Garden State Racetrack, on
Rt. 70.   They couldn't have been more accommodating. Call in advance. Ask
for Alan (spelling?). Reservations are a must. Soups and most appetizers have
wheat, but I had a delicious house salad with honey roasted walnuts in
raspberry vinaigrette. I could have eaten almost any of their entrees, most
of which have a reduction sauce that starts out as alcohol...wine, cognac,
brandy, etc.

Sorry....but the magnificent pastries in the bake shop that accompanies the
facility are also off limits for us. But the meal was heavenly. And they use
rice paper and rice noodles, not wheat. When I first called and Alan asked me
if I realized that soy sauce had wheat in it, I knew I was going to the right
place! Four of us had an appetizer or soup or salad plus a creative,
delicious entree. Our friends brought the wine. Coffee and dessert were at my
house. The bill came to $124 plus the tip..so this isn't Early Bird Special
at the local diner...but a great meal for a special birthday.

Lin