From:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2012 03:48:12 -0700

I got several responses. I live in Maryland and ate at the Hunt Valley, MD restaurant. The fact that the manager made no appologies and did not sound like she would attempt to change their policy of cooking a pot of gluten-containing past right next to spinach which should have no gluten was very disturbing.
But the most important thing about all of this is that I emailed corporate office of Carrabas several times and totally got no response. Whey do they even have a gluten-free menu?
The person who emailed me to ask if she could use my testimony to contact corporate is welcome to do just that. She would like to try to educate them on safe practices for cooking gluten free by restaurants.

Sandy

Anyone had any problems eating at Carrabas? After an entirely wrong order, I was served a piece of pasta (with gluten) in my sautéed spinach. When I told the manager, she only said they cook their pot of pasta right next the pan used to sauté the spinach. No apologies. Someone in my Celiac Support Group has gotten sick three times at Carrabas.
I have emailed their corporate office several times with no response. I guess they don't want the gluten-free customers!
Sandy

Carrabas Summary:
Here is the summary, but first let me say that I live in MD and ate at the Hunt Valley, MD restaurant. My main point was that the manager did not seem to care and only gave the excuse about the pasta cooking right next to the pan for spinach and made no apologies nor said she would correct this obvious cross-contamination possibility.
Most particularly Carrabas' headquarters will not respond to my emails. That is unacceptable. Why do they have a gluten free menu? Since all of the Carrabas, as far as I know, have gluten free menus, the corporate office should be concerned about the individual restaurants lack of concern for customer safety. I understand a manager might not be a good one and that they are not concerned about cross-contaminating food, but corporate should –it is their name at stake!

1. No, I don't go there because I cannot trust them.
2. My husband, the celiac in our family, and has ordered from the GF menu at Carrabas in  Georgia and Florida without incident.
3. Another said she hadfound at Carrabas, little pieces of pasta in my soup. When she told the manager, he said, "The cooks are Hispanic. They can't read the special instructions."  I think he's tried to correct it, but I don't feel safe there. It seemed like they used a contaminated spoon. They are so busy; how can they really serve a gluten-free meal around so many contaminants?
4. I have never had a problem at the Centreville location.  My order comes separately & I always order the chicken soup without the pasta.  This is one of my favorite places.  Sorry you had a bad experience.
5. I am surprised because that is my favorite place to go.  I live in New Jersey and have never had a problem.  I guess it depends on the owner of each one as far as how serious he takes it.
6. A bit more. Carrabas is part of Outback, so I am quite surprised.  They were the original 'chain' to help us out & have always been tried to be helpful.
7. I avoid Carrabas. They are just too sloppy, not committed.
8. I get sick every time there. I don't go there anymore.

9. HI, they say they have a gf menu on their site, curious have you called a Carrabas and asked for the Corporate phone number? And as to speak to whoever is in charge of putting together the gluten free menu and the training for each of these restaurants?
If not, I would love to and use your testimony with someone calling you to follow up? If we don't educate people they will never learn.  Carelessness is next to 'deadliness' with some people's responses to gluten these days.

10. I ate at a Carrabas in Williamsburg, VA managed by a man whose fiancé was Celiac so he had gluten free bread AND gluten free rice pasta. The food was "out of this world good" and they took great care to be sure that I had a safe meal. It will just depend on the manager of the restaurant as to how well the staff takes care of Celiac customers.  Brenda from Maryland

11. Just like any chain, I think safety can vary, depending on the quality of the management at your local restaurant.  My local Outback Steak House is great, but I got sick after eating at one in another state.
We have 2 Carrabbas' in the area (Grand Rapids, MI), and I have had good experiences at both.
I appreciate a warning about a place that has shown disregard for the safety of celiac customers.  At the same time, I would hate to have people make assumptions about an entire chain, if only a few locations  are problematic.