From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 16:59:36 EDT

Sue Goldstein asked about Isomil for a newborn in a family with known Celiac.
I have two points to offer:

1) Prosobee is another infant formula, and unlike Isomil, it is dairy free.
Prosobee is more easily tolerated by my 8 year old Celiac son, who is also
allergic to casein and cannot digest lactose.  The customer service dept for
the company which makes Prosobee appeared very knowledge and strongly asserted
it was totally GF.

2) You might suggest that the family have the newborn baby HLA typed.  If the
baby has not yet been born, this can be done with umbillical cord blood right
at the birth (i.e. no blood drawn on the child).  We did this on our new son,
and fortunately he had a different HLA type than my Celiac son.  It is also an
HLA type which is highly unlikely to be associated with Celiac.

>From discussions with several clinicians, some feel that HLA typing is an
alternative to repeating endomysial antibody tests every 3-5 years on first
degree relatives of Celiac patients.  I found HLA typing to be more expensive,
but if the relative turns out NOT to have the same genetic markers which were
associated with Celiac in the other family member, then it would appear that
additional antibody tests need not be done.  Warning: your insurance company
may have a different attitude towards covering HLA typing compared with Celiac
antibody testing.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles