From:
JCTESSA7 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 01:37:07 EDT

I tried taking Serzone last fall and had a HORRIBLE reaction to it.  I was
having mild allergy and GI symptoms (including the most putrid gas) for about
1 1/2 weeks.  My doctor insisted these were normal side effects and adamantly
told me to stay on it and my body would become used to the drug.  A few days
later, I had a full blown allergic reaction including hives all over my body,
asthma attack and throat beginning to swell.  I may just be allergic to the
actual drug, but I wonder if anyone else has tried Serzone and reacted.  My
pharmacist called the company and told me that it was gluten free.  (I am both
a celiac and allergic to wheat, rye, barley and milk.)  I am still suffering
with depression, but I have been quite reluctant to try another
antidepressant.  Serzone is a drug that stays in your system for two weeks and
longer after you stop taking it and so I ended up being on cortisone shots and
what has seemed like an endless amount of antihistamines before my body calmed
down a couple months later.  What antidepressants have other celiacs or people
allergic to wheat or milk taken with success?   I will summarize.