From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:21:12 -0500

Since Purim is coming soon (March 18, 2003) I hope the following will
give both newbies and the rest of us plenty of ideas of what to make for
eating and giving in our shaloch manot (the gifts that are exchanged on
Purim)--just be sure to remind the recipients that these are made from
gf flour.

For those that would like to go beyond making Hamantashen I found two
traditional Purim recipes that are normally gf.
*Nan-e Berenji (a Iranian rice flour shortbread cookie). A Recipe is
available in The Jewish Holiday Cookbook by Gloria Greene, pg.228; a
slightly different version can be found at
http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/ricecook.htm
I made this about 10 years ago prior to my diagnosis of celiac but did
not use the ultra fine rice flour so they tasted grainy. I plan on
trying these again this year.
*Mount Sinai con Uova Filate (Almond Pastry with egg threads from Italy
and are apparently still made in Livorno). The Book of Jewish Food by
Claudia Roden, pg. 578. These would be more difficult to make but are
interesting. I need to try them since I am sure my ancestors made/ate
these when they lived in Livorno prior to their move to Amsterdam around
1720.

For those that want to make Hamantashen, Hamantaschen, Hamentashen or
Hamentaschen (these are all the spellings that I found in the archives
for those that want to look at ALL the messages posted to the list) I
found the following VERY long messages, which are also in the archives,
the most helpful.

Tom Laichas <[log in to unmask]> post dated Sat, 7 Feb 1998
20:35:56 -0800; Subject: /R Hamenstashen Responses (LONG)

Dorian Cohen <[log in to unmask]> post dated Wed, 16 Feb 2000
16:46:09 -0500; Subject: /R Hamentaschen Recipe Summary--VERY LONG!

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD