Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:47:27 EST

I have really appreciated all the responses.   Hope they will be helpful to
you too!  Madelyn

Amy's has a list of gf products and I've seen gf vegan pizzas but I don't
remember who makes them.

Amy's makes quite a few vegan/gluten free meals.

 Something else that is good is sushi veggie rolls.  I buys them in the fish
section of the grocery store for about $4 I get these for lunch all the time.
 Its rice, seaweed, sesame seeds, carrots, cucumbers, and avocado.  Just
don't use the soysauce they give you it is not GF.  I have seen it in quite a
few stores including grocery (Publix) and health food stores.

Amy's Thai Stir Fry is frozen, fast, and darn tasty.  One of my personal
favorites.  As I am a senior in college I can relate to the need for "fast
food."

Check some of the Amy's gluten free-vegan frozen dinners.

Your daughter can make a "quickie" dinner by boiling some
GF macaroni and adding the cheese packet from Kraft
Macaroni and Cheese (throwing out the Kraft macaroni).

Connie Sarros
http://www.wfgf.homestead.com/gf.html

Baked Potatoes - only take 41/2 mins in microwave

Buy a microwave rice cooker - rice takes 10 to 15 mins , then add maybe
beans and veg ,or tin of tuna or is that not on her diet

Cream of rice - microwave 3 mins mix in some pure peanut butter etc for
different flavlour

Avol of GF sports bars  and nutrtional supplemnent drink -  eg Balance Bars,
Boost drinks read ingredients

Veggies acb be cooked in a few mins in microwave  - mix a selection and add
some herbs, garlic etc

Amy's frozen foods have Shepard's Pie, and two flavors of Enchiladas which
don't have anything iffy listed in the ingredients.  I have had no
troubles eating them, though I don't have official confirmation of their
GF status.

Amy's frozen entrees (available at Albertson's and most health food
stores in our region) are delicious.

Here's a few suggestions that may help:

For pre-packaged meals, Tamarind Tree offers several GF vegan
selections--they're Indian cuisine and I love them--the ones that are
gluten-free are listed as such on the labels.  These are heat-and-eat.

For a little bit of cooking time (~10 min), Thai Kitchen has rice and rice
noodle vegan options--they cook in about 10 minutes in boiling water.

There are GF vegan burgers from "365 everyday" brand sold in Whole Foods
Markets (www.wholefoods.com).

Fantastic Foods and bulk items at Whole Foods both have instant humus
recipes--just add water (and more if you like).  It's very nutritious and
tasty with tortilla chips or rice crackers.

Teapot Soups and Fantastic Foods have some good GF vegan options that
work like Lipton Cup-o-soup--you can often ask for hot water at a
restaurant/cafe or bring a thermos.

I often have to eat on the go or pack my lunches/dinners when i travel, and
am always looking for light, easy-to-fix-anywhere things.  When the food
can't be perishable, I often pre-mix "noodle bowls" with rice cellophane
noodles or bean thread noodles (Sai Fun), both of which I can get at my
grocery but also at an Asian grocery.  I add dried veggies, or GF soup mix,
or make my own mix.  Then it just requires hot water.  When perishables can
be used, I use tofu a lot for quick meals, along with frozen veggies and
pre-mixed spice/salt blend (or you can use a GF soup mix blend).  I put it
all in microwave container and zap for ~2 mins.

The Thai Kitchen rice noodles are good too.

-I make large batches of things a couple of times a week and eat
leftovers. Eating out and prepared foods are not only not too healthy
for you, but they often are gluten contaminated since handling in
restaurants is out of you control and prepared foods have lots of gluten-
containing additives.

Tamarind Tree has GF, vegan, indian meals that are ready in 5 minutes.  I buy
them at the health food store, but they have a web site. www.tamtree.com.
They are very good.

The quickest foods are surprisingly "from scratch" in our household.  Buy a
Japanese style rice cooker that you can set up with rice and water in the
morning to cook at a specific time.  So you walk in the door to the smell of
the rice steaming. When it starts to count down (~13 mins) get your
ingredients together and cook.

1. Tofu with Tomatoes (For 1)

Slice 1/2 onion lengthwise into strips and fry in soy oil / sesame oil
mixture.  Add 1/4 block of firm tofu cut into large chunks and fry until
browning.  Add 1/2 large 'beef' tomato cut into 4 wedges.  When all
softening, add a little mirin (sweet rice wine - if you have it) and a good
dash of GF tamari (wheat-free soy sauce), a little hot water if you so desire
and serve.  We usually serve the tofu in one dish, the rice in another
sprinkled with sesame seeds and a few Japanese pickles in a dish to the side.

2. Tofu with spinach (Again for 1)

Start with the onions & tofu as before.  Add a few mushrooms cut into
quarters and then a good handful of well-washed coarsely chopped spinach and
cook briefly.  Add a little dash of tomato puree and tamari and mix well.
You don't want to overcook, just enough to soften lightly but still be nicely
green.

3. Tofu and Peppers in rich sauce. (For 1)

Again start with onions as before then add strips of green, red and yellow
peppers and fry together until softening.  Add the tofu and a few mushrooms
if you wish and fry briefly.  Then add a good amount of tomato puree and a
good dash of tamari plus hot water and a sprinkling of GF stock cube mixture
if you wish.  Cook on a highish heat so that the sauce reduces and thickens,
stirring well to really coat everything.  Do not reduce to dryness but leave
a good sauce to mix in with the rice.  We usually serve this one on a plate
with the rice so that it soaks up well.

All of these recipes also work well with saute potatoes, but then that is
another pot to watch!  All take 10 minutes or less.  Hope that helps.  I
almost live on variations of these recipes.  I spend too much time weaving
and spinning to bother about cooking longer meals!