From:
Jordan Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jordan Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:35:34 -0500

My partner & I were talking about Hostess snowballs a few weeks ago,
and I was bemoaning the loss of those little treats from my diet. A
week later, he surprised me with this cake, put together from recipes
gleaned from the web, and modified to be gluten-free. I know no-one
_needs_ snowballs in their diet, but it sure was a treat! The
comments are all his.

GF Chocolate Snowball Cake

Cake:

Source:
<http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/672/Recipe.cfm>

Comments: I found this recipe on lots of sites with no particular
attribution. It's a pretty generic recipe - really a cross between a
sponge and a genoise, both of which work well with GF flour. See more
notes below.

Ingredients:
1 cup GF flour mix*
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:
1. Heat oven to 375ºF. Line a 15 1/2x10 1/2x1 inch Jelly Roll pan** with
aluminum foil; grease generously. Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder and
salt; set aside.

2. Beat eggs in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed about 3
minutes or until very thick and lemon colored. Pour eggs into large bowl.
Gradually beat in granulated sugar. Beat in water and vanilla on low
speed. Beat in flour mixture on low speed just until batter is smooth.
Pour into pan, spreading batter to corners.

3. Bake 12 to 15*** minutes or until top springs back when touched
lightly. Loosen cake immediately from edges of pan; turn upside down onto
towel generously sprinkled with powdered sugar. Remove foil carefully;
cool cake completely, at least 30 minutes.

* I used a mix of 1:1:1:: Tapioca starch : White rice flour : Sweet rice
flour. Any GF flour is OK as long as the grind approximates all-purpose
or cake flour.

** I used 2 7-inch round, 1-1/2 deep pans. The cake rose a bit over the
top of the pans. I might use larger pans next time.

*** I think I had to increase this to 20 minutes for 7-inch pans. Test
the cake at 15 minutes and see. 8- or 9-inch pans should bake in more
like 15 minutes.

Marshmallow Frosting:

Source:
<http://www.foodservicerecipes.com/foodrecipes/Desserts_-_Cakes_and_Frostings/286.HTM>

Comments: 1/4 recipe amply frosts and fills 2 7- or 8-inch round layers.
Probably frosts and fills 2 9-inch layers if you exercise even the
slightest bit of control with the spatula.

Desserts - Cakes Fillings & Frostings
Recipe#286

Marshmallow Frosting
Servings: Yield: 3 Quarts (1 1/2 Quarts Per Sheet Cake)
Portions:
Pan Size:
Temperature:

INGREDIENTS

1 cup water
1 tsp. cream of tarter
4 1/2 cups (2 lb) sugar, granulated
3 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups (12 whites) egg whites
1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine water, cream of tartar, sugar, and salt. Heat mixture, stirring
only until sugar is dissolved. Wash down crystals which form on the sides
of pan with a spatula dipped in water. Cook to 240 degrees F. Set aside.
Using whip at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Pour
syrup in a fine slow stream over egg whites, while beating at high speed.
Add vanilla and continue beating 7 minutes or until frosting is cool and
stiff enough to spread.

NOTE: 1. If candy thermometer is not available, heat mixture in Step 1
until it forms a soft ball in cold water.
2. For 6 9-inch 2-layer cakes: Double recipe. Spread 1 qt (15 oz)
frosting per cake. For 13 dozen cupcakes: Double recipe. Spread 1 1/2
cups frosting per dozen cupcakes or 2 tbsp frosting oneach cupcake.

Web Sorce: <http://www.diningrecipes.com>

--
Joe Ellison