From:
Lois Sulka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2013 14:42:12 -0400

All who responded found this issue to be very challenging
Thanks to all who took time to share.
Lois

Explain briefly, if possible, to anyone inquiring, because if you avoid explaining people become concerned and curious about your reasons.

If you don't want to cause extra work, wait for people to offer to make something special for you.

I have developed a thick skin about people asking.  Some really care but most don't.  Do what makes you happy and take the chance to educate one more person about celiac.

Ask for gluten free options

Simply state you have "food allergies."

I always feel uncomfortable and am sometimes ridiculed for having to eat gluten free.

When I attend potlucks, I take a dish and label it gluten free.  There are more people out there than you realize.  This quietly opens lines of communication.

It can hijack an otherwise enjoyable social occasion.  I sometimes say, "Oh, it's so boring really.  This looks delicious."

When a person abstains, it ruins the harmony of the group.  I just eat the salad and sometimes bring some food, like an apple.  Sometimes I focus on the drink and always join in the conversation.

If I can before hand, I ask what the menu is so I know what to expect. Then I identify a few dishes that seem like they could be easily modified.  I would ask those people for their recipe/ingredients.  Next I would inquire if I supplied the GF ingredients would they switch it out and see if it works.

If I'm going to call attention to myself where everyone else is eating, I'm going to eat well.  I cook and take and bring food where ever I go.  I don't even ask the hostess if they would like me to bring something.  I just bring something for everyone to enjoy.  So I say share something, teach them and enjoy eating with everyone.

Instead of trying to be inconspicuous, why not use the time to educate people about celiac.  Perhaps they might learn enough to try and provide something for you to eat.