From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 10:22:51 -0700

Many celiacs seem to have acid reflux, partly because we have so much gas
pressure which forces acid back up the esophagus, and also tends to create
a higher than normal proportion of hiatal hernias, which makes the acid
reflux worse. We have known for a long time that fats make the reflux much
worse, but we didn't understand till this new study why.

Dr. Emeran A. Mayer from the University of California, Los Angeles and
co-authors report in the November issue of the gastroenterologists'
eponymous journal, Gut: 2001;49:624-628, that nerves in the small intestine
may release signals in response to fatty acids, and that these signals may
alter a person's threshold for pain and discomfort.

In their controlled experiment, higher acid levels overall hastened the
start and intensity of symptoms, but fat appeared to increase the speed
and severity of heartburn symptoms even more, the report indicates.

-vance