From:
Ayn Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:15:57 -0500

First, some of you had wondered how to make sour milk or buttermilk with
phoney milk and if adding vinegar works. I called Vitamite this a.m. and
asked if their milk was gf - the representative said, yes, it was, even
the powdered, and is, of course, lactose free. I use vinegar in it to
make sour milk and it works for me. Hope this helps. They are very
helpful, offering to send coupons and information on their products.
Their number is: 800-443-3930. Vitamite is also kosher certified, for
those who need this information.

Secondly, I just got home from my appt with my gastro. Rather
disappointing, but I'm trying to be positive. I had contacted someone
from the local celiac support group and found my gastro was highly
recommended, so that was good - at least I didn't have to change
doctors. Anyway, he was highly skeptical that I had celiac, but agreed
to run the blood tests - wouldn't commit to a biopsy. He said if the
blood tests came back positive, he would do the biopsy, but if negative,
probably not. In my years of searching for a diagnosis of my problems,
I've been told by several doctors that if a blood test comes back
negative for what they are looking for, it proves nothing, or it should
be considered suspect - only if it comes back positive does it mean
something. Does that not apply here? If my blood tests come back
negative, wouldn't one have to have the biopsy to be sure it is or isn't
celiac? This is highly uncharacteristic for this doctor - he has always
been very open to my 'gut' (no pun intended) feeling about what is going
on with me. He has also ordered a small bowel x-ray. (Oh, boy) He did
say that if all was negative, he would probably do a colonoscopy and try
to get a small intestine biopsy at the same time. (Maybe his way of
trying to prove or disprove celiac in light of the fact that I don't
have the classic symptoms without raising red flags with the insurance
company)

So, my questions are, if anyone can offer information - Do the blood
tests prove anything if they are negative? And, does it matter where the
biopsy is taken from the small intestine? It seems I had read somewhere
that the portion of the small intestine just past the duodenum is
affected first and that the more serious the problem, the further down
the intestine celiac disease will show up. I've been reading so much
lately, it's difficult for me to discern what is true and what isn't.

Oh, yes, and finally, does it matter what one eats prior to the blood
test? They told me to go in fasting, but if I eat a gf supper the night
before, does that affect the test at all?

Thanks for any opinions/information anyone can offer.

Ayn.