From:
Giovanna Pandozy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:10:26 +0200

Dear Listmates,

I can't believe that somebody complained about Donna's post on her trip
to Italy, I am Italian, live in Rome and found her comments very
appropriate.

1) This city IS polluted, becoming worst each day, as weather patterns
change and barometric shifts become more frequent, the effects of all
the poison in the air is turning to be highly sensible. Of course other
big cities are in the same conditions, and for what concerns me, I am
looking forward to move to the country-side in Spring 2000.

2) I am surprised to hear that all Italian children are tested for CD,
maybe now, but not in my youth (I am 35 now). Not only this, but also
gastros usually don't take it into consideration for adults, will
diagnose irritable bowel syndrome, or gastroenteritis instead, and
prescribe antibiotics (or other drugs to control symptoms). Most GP
doctors know nothing about CD, consider it an ailment of little kids,
and even outside the medical profession, every time I speak about my CD
practically nobody knows a thing about it, and I need to explain all.
Generally speaking, there is a vague awareness that bread, pasta may
cause adverse reactions at times, that's all.

3) Also gluten-free products are less available here, difficult to find,
and there is little variety.

I wanted to share this with you because my experience with CD in my own
country hasn't been great!

Giovanna (Rome