Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 09:38:38 +0000

Hello Everyone :)

I have been lurking and digesting as much information about this
incredibly foreign disease called CELIAC.  That may not seem so
unusual considering some of the threads I have read on this list over
the past two weeks.

My name is Eduard Vala.  I was informed about this list from the
Alopecia list that wheat had some relation to my hair loss.  I am 31
and have had AU (ie, total hair loss) for about 3 years with no signs
of regrowth.  Two weeks ago, after reading theFACS on celiac, I
immediately decided to go on a GFdiet (no consultations with medical
industry or their tests).  You see, this disease has and is causing
havoc throughout my family and no "doctor" has ever came close to
diagnosing it or even informing us about its existence.  All I can
say is that the history of the disease existed in my grandparents
(father's side) and is plaguing their seven offspring.
I am extremely bitter that no "one" informed my parents that I may have
been born with this condition and find consolation that I can inform
my newly born neice that she may have this dietary problem.

Anyhow, enough of me rambling.  Im sure youve heard all before.  The
good news is that since I got on the diet both my parents have
joined.  And last weekend I convinced my youngest brother to try the
diet.  He is 16 and as most kids his age he has had acne for about a  year
or so (pretty bad).  After just 3 days on a strict GF diet it appears
that his acne is diappearing.  Its a miracle. Gone!  Man I wish I
could have had that knowledge when I went throught that hell.  Lets just
say he is convinced that GF is the way to live!

I have a lot more symptions and complications that can be explained
throughout my family tree and will not bore you with them at this
time.  I can not say how much hope this new knowledge of my body has
given me and my whole family.

Id like to say thank you to all the individuals who sat down and
documented and organized the FACS on this disease that is plaguing
our society.  Its time the word got out. Yes, there is a life beyond
WHEAT!  Ive made it a personal goal.

Eduard Vala
Bald Headed Legend (At least in the white water kayaking world...)
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada