From:
Patricia Onstott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Onstott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 16:47:27 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded; I really appreciate all  your input.

My comments and question were as follows:
I was wondering if any of you have had or are having symptoms similar to me, or if I have something else going on.   (I have been faithfully following the diet for the last seven years; I am now 53.)  I do eat out often, but am very careful about where we eat and what I eat.   I do have obviously have problems with accidental ingestion though.

I have developed a very painful tendonitis in one knee and I am anxious for it to start feeling better--I've been limping for about 3 months.  I am on arthritis medication daily which helps a lot with my spine--pain in lower back and upper shoulders...   But a few months ago I noticed my big toe and the next toe had a slightly numb feeling and felt a bit tingly at the tips of the toes on both feet.  It never improved and has steadily increased.  Now the sensation has spread to the all of the first three toes on each foot and has moved on up to the tops of my feet near the toe junction and towards the ball of my foot--same slightly numb, tingly sensation, like it is "going to sleep" but not quite there yet.  At first I thought it was a circulation problem, but don't think so now.  I think it has to do with the nerves.  I have had nerve problems in the past--twice on the right side of my face, right side of my head, the right foot in the arch, and left finger tips--but these all came and went; didn't hang on like the toes thing.

I am now beginning to worry about diabetes, MS, or something else...    Do any of you suffer with the nerve-type problems, especially the toes numbness?  Is this just another celiac symptom?    I have also seen a number of postings inquiring about various prescription meds being gluten free.   Have any of you found any meds that were a problem so far?  I do take hormones, blood pressure pills, and lots of vitamins every day.
Summary of 16 Responses:

5 - Experience similar symptoms:
     (1--toe numbness that spread to adjoining toe on both feet tho not
           diagnosed as with celiac disease;
     1--I've got sensations like that, caused by bulging disks in my back;
     1--Doctor says it is Reynaud's Syndrome.
     1--Joint pain, muscle pain & numbness/tingling is not uncommon w/celiac
          disease.  I'm 38, gf for 5 years and have experienced all of that.  I am
          currently being tested (EMG) to determine any nerve loss due to the
          numbness in my toes.  I have to say that fortunately, for me, it does
          come & go and has not gotten any worse.  It is very similar to the
          experience you describe.  I guess celiacs do have neuropathy, which
          is a numb/tingling sensation.    A good neurologist will be able to help
          you w/your toes.)
     1--Had such issues which went away, but not sure which of the following
          helped:  (a)  added magnesium/calcium; (b) heavy weight lifting (really
          helps with arthritis pain); (c)  probiotics (increases the amount of B
          vites you produce in your gut); (d) stopped dairy (casein effects); (e)
          started eating less starch (and *only* eating with a protein meal).

1 - Suggested it may be Peripheral Neuropathy.

2 - Sounds neurological - recommended seeing a neurologist.

2 - Recommended chiropractors.

1 - It could be gout; get a check up.

1 - Could be a symptom of type 1 diabetes, about 5-10% of celiacs have it.

1 - Could have a blood test to see if you are absorbing B vitamins.

1 - Suggested seeing a doctor to be checked for MS and diabetes.

1--My elbow and and ankles were very sore a few years back. I went to the
    doctor and was given nyproxen and that didn't work. I went for xrays and
     nothing showed up. I could hardly walk for the pain.  So I started
     watching what I was eating (remember the old saying) "you are what you
     eat" and so I started getting away from acidic foods (the list is long) and
     within a short while I began to feel better. By the way, I was diagnosed
     celiac at 53 years and I am now 63. I felt terrible for 53 years and I have
     come to realize that often the diet may well be the source of many  health
     problems. Its really worked for me. Do a search on the web of acidic
     foods and try that. I hope it works for you to.   Good luck and good
     health, Patricia. I'd be interested in knowing how you make out.

1--I've been an arthritic for years but found giving up sugar and the Celiac
     diet to be of tremendous help.  I also find the best help for my arthritis
     pain and swelling is Oregano Oil P73 from the health food store.  Just a
     drop of the oil will make a big difference in a few days on the painful area.
     Also I am convinced my arthriris has a route cause of candidia or fungus.
     Both need sugar or carbs to feed them.  A book The Fungus Lin k by Doug
     Kaufmann could tie this in for you.  It can be ordered by phone 972-772-
     0990. I have no connection but I am a believer of the fungus link.